TNT Roasted Root Vegetables with Turnip Greens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Ahh - fall is here, or at least in the air in most places.

Last night I roasted a duck for dinner & served these wonderful oven-roasted veggies to go along with it. While the basic ingredients can easily vary as to what looks good at the market, this is how it came out last night:

1 small mesh bag of multicolored tiny baby potatoes (purple, red, white, yellow), larger ones halved
6 medium carrots, peeled & cut into 2" pieces
4 medium white turnips with greens - greens removed & reserved; turnips quartered
1 large onion, peeled & quartered
1 head of garlic, cloves separated & peeled
1 small handful/bunch of fresh thyme, leaves removed from stems & roughly choppped
Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt & freshly-ground black pepper to taste

For turnip greens:
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled & chopped
dash of hot red pepper flakes

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put all vegetables & herbs except for turnip greens & their ingredients into roasting pan. Add several dollops of extra-virgin olive oil & toss until everything is coated. Roast for approximately 25-35 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.

Meanwhile, remove ribs/stems from turnip greens & discard. Chop leaves roughly & lightly saute with chopped garlic clove & red pepper flakes in some extra-virgin olive oil.

When roasted root vegetables are done, fold in sauteed turnip greens & serve.

Sounds great! I made some last night with roasted chicken breasts. I like seeing what other people use rather than the "regular" veggies. I used raddish and bell pepper in mine and couldn't believe how tasty they came out.

I'll usually given the choice between turnips or parsnips go for the latter.
Either way, roots are great.
Beets would have been pretty-- chunks of rhubarb to counter it's sweetness.
Ahh, I want roasted veg's!

I'm not a big parsnip fan. Too sweet. If I do use them, I cut the amount of carrots by half, because the combination of the two vegetables just makes the whole thing too sweet for me.

And while I myself like beets, they're not a fave of the husband, plus they tend to dye everything fuschia pink when it's all tossed together. Sort of looks like the vegetables have been sauced with Pepto Bismal - lol!!

When I do make beet dishes, I prefer ones where the beets are on their own.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom