TNT Tomato Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryRed

Senior Cook
Tried this recipe last night to use up a bunch of tomatoes my boyfriend's neighbor gave us. . . it came out great! It hasn't even been a full day and already there's less than half a pie left. Try this - it's simple and really good :chef:

Tomato Pie

4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
1/2 T flour
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/3 cup chopped green onions
salt and pepper to taste
1 prebaked 9-inch deep dish pie crust
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place the prepared tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer over paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes or longer - if you don't the pie will fall apart. Pat tomato slices with paper towel to remove excess moisture.

In a large mixing bowl, coat tomato slices lightly with flour. This will prevent the pie from getting watery while baking. Mix the tomato slices, basil, and onion, then arrange in bottom of pie shell. Season with salt and pepper.

Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. If necessary, add up to another quarter cup of mayo until mixture is smooth enough to spread. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes until lightly browned.

Cut into slices and serve warm. Also makes great leftovers!

YUM - I think this is the exact recipe I use and "it don't get no better"!!!!!! MMMMM........I've got some heirlooms that are screaming for a tomato pie!!!!

Thanks and I hope someone who has never had a tomato pie before sees this and takes the plunge to make it!!!

I agree. Luv the pie during the summer w fried chicken, potato or mac salad, coleslaw, corn on the cob. I change it out sometimes - adding garlic or spinach or different cheeses. Thanks for sharing. Everyone loves that pie.

I have never had tomatoe pie and will be giving this recipe a try. I love all the ingredients, and I like your idea as well amy regarding additions such as spinach and other cheeses.

I'm making this again on Sunday, this time at the request of my mother. The only thing I'll be doing differently is using 5 tomatotes instead of 4. The tomato layer was a bit thin for my liking before.

I agree with you Amy and Amber - spinach would go great in here! Can't try it this time, though. My sister is not a fan. Let me know how it comes out if any of you decide to add it!

I agree with you Amy and Amber - spinach would go great in here! Can't try it this time, though. My sister is not a fan. Let me know how it comes out if any of you decide to add it!

I have made the pie many times. If you have a chance to try it with spinach, (mozzarella, garlic & tomatoes) - for you, let me know how it turns out.

This is a recipe w a twist on the tomato pie I would like to make, but need some help with conversions. (I may post the question here.)

Food Lover's Journey: 'O sole mio (*)

Last edited:
mmmm I've tried a couple of variations of tomato pie - all good, but your recipe is yet another slight variation, Cherry!

I'll give it a go - thanks!

Lee

Back
Top Bottom