To peel or not to peel sweet potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I'm trying a new pork chop recipe that calls for sliced sweet potatoes. It doesn't mention peeling them. Can I get by without it, or should I go ahead and peel them.

As long as the are scrubbed well then you do not need to peel them. There is a lot of nutrients in the peel. It comes down to personal taste though. you can peel if you want or not peel if you don't want.

I agree with GB, it's according to one's preference. I used to peel when my kids were small, but now I don't cook it at all, My Irish hubby says that sweet potatoes are not potatoes! If I cook any, I end up eating them alone, so I wait until I am back in Kenya and my mum cooks some, then I have them cold the following morning with tea just like it used to be at my granma's. (The shop was so far away to go buy bread). Thinking of that makes me happy.

Well, the dish is in the oven...pork chops, sliced onions, sweet potatoes, S&P and a little brown sugar. It sounds good...we shall see!

I love em with the skins on as well, then smothered in butter and brown sugar with just a little cinnamon!
Ohhh now I know what I am hungry for, LOL.

I don't peel them when I slice and fry them, I find they hold their shape better with the skin on. Come to think of it, I rarely peel them.

Back
Top Bottom