"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 06-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Tofu - good or bad?

I bought some tofu yesterday for the first time in my life. The only time I've ever eaten it was in Miso Soup, that I know of.

It was a spur of the moment purchase and I thought I'd find a recipe to use it with the sprouts, pea pods, bamboo shoots etc that I have.

Looking up recipes on the internet, I've come across some rather disturbing articles relating to tofu's negative effect on the body.

Could I have some of your opinions, please.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
Looking up recipes on the internet, I've come across some rather disturbing articles relating to tofu's negative effect on the body.

Could I have some of your opinions, please.
I can't believe this is founded in science. It has been a staple for too many people for too many years.

I used to eat a lot of tofu, would trade milk for home made tofu. It was a very versatile food. I usually would cube it and add it to various dishes. I know there are many ways to use it. I hope some creative ideas will be shared here. I was not particularly creative with it .

Old 06-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I didn't know the difference between firm and soft tofu so I bought the soft. From what I've read, firm is better for cooking. lol, of course!

I cubed some of tofu and sprinkled it on my salad. It was good but bland, naturally. The ginger-sesame dressing went perfectly with it, though.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

HB, I'm not a tofu eater, but I believe the soft kind of supposed to be good for making mousses.

add a little chocolate and see how you like it
Old 06-03-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
Master Chef

I use tofu quite frequently - mostly in stirfries & vegetarian sandwiches.

The key to using & enjoying tofu successfully is 1) selecting the proper firmness for the dish you want to make, & 2) understanding that tofu is really a "clean slate" - meaning that it has virtually no taste of its own, but rather acts as a sponge for other ingredients. If you keep those 2 things in mind, you can enjoy using it in endless different ways.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I use tofu several times a week. I always marinade it, tonight's was thai spiced then baked. I also do a scramble for breakfasts, better than eggs!

Just like breezy said, tofu is like a sponge! I love baked tofu tossed in salads or sliced up on sandwiches. I'm a tofu lover, can you tell!?!?
Old 06-03-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Do you all buy the firm tofu to bake with and stir fry? How about tempeh?

Lol, I'm trying get a healthier protein into my diet. I saw all the mousse, cheesecake and other dessert recipes. My word they sound great but I don't need dessert for awhile.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Master Chef

I use extra-firm tofu 9 times out of 10.

As far as tempeh, I cook with it occasionally, but it's nothing like tofu. It's quite firm & very nutty/grainy tasting. Good in stirfries, but definitely not as sauce-absorbing as tofu. Pretty much stands on its own.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
Sous Chef

o my goodness i love tofu! I pretty much only buy firm and put it in curries and i have a great baked tofu recipe with it (will post below). that being said i currently have i think one package of firm in the fridge and 2 or 3 packages of soft in there! I use soft in brownies, in cakes in frostings and also in salad dressings.

Roasted tofu

1, 350g
block of extra-firm tofucubed

wisk together and pour over tofu

1/4 cup soy sauce
2 T sesame oil (you can also use EVOO)
1 1/2 T vinegar
1 T sugar
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp chili garlic sauce (i use sambal oelek which you can buy in thai stores or even Nofrills if you have one near by)

spread the tofu out and place in a 350*F oven for 30mins. turn over and scatter with 1T of sesame seeds. roast for 15 more mins in the oven until ss are golden.

really great recipe served over rice with a sqeeze of lemon on top! I think that i made this four times a week last summer while up at my cottage!

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
Master Chef

Heck - these days even many regular supermarkets carry "sambal oelek". Just check the aisle where they have Asian foods & look for anything labeled "Chile Garlic Paste". That will do it.

Tags
None