Tomato - peel or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
Tomato, peel or not?

I never know whether I'm supposed to peel a tomato when cooking. If it's not mentioned in the recipe I mean... I want to make an eggplant dish tomorrow, the ingredients are; eggplant, tomatoes, garlic, pepper, salt and oil. Simple dish, you fry the eggplant slices a little, then add the the rest of the ingredients and simmer it (covered). But shall I peel the tomatoes or not? I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance....

I rarely, if ever, bother to peel tomatoes unless the recipe specifically calls for it (even then I rarely do it - lol!).

So that said, if the recipe doesn't ask you to do it - don't. And if the recipe is asking you to layer tomato slices with the eggplant, definitely don't do it. Your tomato will fall apart.

I don't feel there is any need to peel a tomato unless you want a really smooth tomato mix. I also tend to avoid the recipes that say peel and deseed the tomato.

I'd much rather go a get a tin where it has all been done for me and probably costs less than the fresh tomatoes.

I almost never peel tomatoes. I have a sauce recipe that I do peel them for otherwise I get little rolled up bits of ski. Which is pretty unpleasant, but other than that recipe I leave the skins on.

yup, it depends on the dish.

if the tomatoes are cooked down into a sauce, chunky or smooth, the skin will roll into little spikes. not so good. sorta like eating a poorly cleaned artichoke.

but if the tomatoes are still fresh-ish, then skins on are ok.

In cooking?...99% of the time yes --- Most of the time I am using home canned so they are always peeled. ......Eating fresh?....most of the time I peel -- Sometimes no.

In cooking?...99% of the time yes --- Most of the time I am using home canned so they are always peeled. ......Eating fresh?....most of the time I peel -- Sometimes no.

I agree... Core, score, blanch, peel, and seed... If done properly the skin just falls right off...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom