"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-08-2019, 10:32 PM   #1
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 820
Tomato Rice

Something quick, easy and delicious I discovered when wanting to do something different with rice in my steamer. Basically I set up my rice cooker with the rice and water. Then I sprinkle in a little salt, some Old Bay Seasoning, then place a whole tomato on top after removing the stem and core. Cover it and let it steam as per usual. Once the rice is cooked, I smash down and break up the tomato into the rice and eat it as-is.

Super simple and super good. You can use any seasonings or herbs that you like. Diced onion tossed in before steaming the rice is also wonderful.

__________________

Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:18 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 9,965
This sounds good, Linda! Putting a whole tomato on the rice to break down as the rice cooks sounds like an easy walk-away-and-let-it-cook dish. I love tomatoes and rice together in many dishes. Thank you for sharing.

I don't have a rice cooker, but kind of wing similar things on the stove top.
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:32 PM   #3
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
This sounds good, Linda! Putting a whole tomato on the rice to break down as the rice cooks sounds like an easy walk-away-and-let-it-cook dish. I love tomatoes and rice together in many dishes. Thank you for sharing.

I don't have a rice cooker, but kind of wing similar things on the stove top.
You can most definitely do it on the stove top. What I love about this dish is its simplicity. Simple ingredients, but such wonderful flavors. The sprinkling of the Old Bay Seasoning is something I decided on a whim to use and it adds such a good taste to it all.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:42 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 9,965
I always have Old Bay on hand! Sounds like a good flavor combo...
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:11 AM   #5
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 820
It is. Just don't sprinkle in too much or it will overpower the flavor of the rice and tomato.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:33 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,871
Ohhhh yeah...I'll also give this a try on the stove. For me it screams cilantro on the top but I love the stuff. There's just nothing better than a simple idea for good food.
Thanks Linda.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
My MIL used to make something similar years ago on the stovetop. Although, she added a good hunk o' butter, and fresh basil that was mashed in with roasted tomatoes.

I like the idea of using Old Bay, carefully. Will have to try that.

I can also see using a splash of Worcestershire.

Thanks, Linda.
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #8
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 820
You're welcome, guys. And really, you can add pretty much anything you like.

This is one of my favorite go-to dishes in summer when I've got extra tomatoes hanging around. I'll eat it as my main meal or sometimes use it for side dishes.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:59 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Rice is on the menu for tomorrow. I have Old Bay seasoning. I love rice. More than mashed taters smothered with gravy.

We are having creamed cod fish and peas, the rice with go very nicely with it.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:35 PM   #10
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Rice is on the menu for tomorrow. I have Old Bay seasoning. I love rice. More than mashed taters smothered with gravy.

We are having creamed cod fish and peas, the rice with go very nicely with it.
Oh my gosh, that sounds fabulous. Would love a pic, if you can spare the time. I don't believe I've ever seen creamed cod and peas.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
Oh my gosh, that sounds fabulous. Would love a pic, if you can spare the time. I don't believe I've ever seen creamed cod and peas.
I could take a photo with my camera. But I don't have the cord to attach it to the computer.

I make the basic white sauce with seasonings that I will use. Old Bay, a pinch of salt and lots of pepper. Cut the cod into edible size and slowly cook (Simmering water) in clean salted water along with the peas. Drain well, add to the white sauce along with peas, and seasonings. Spoon over cooked seasoned rice.

You can add almost any frozen veggie of your choice. I always use a colorful veggie. Sometimes I will add two veggies to the white sauce. (Peas, corn, green beans, etc.) Otherwise the whole dinner is all white.

Having been married to a commercial fisherman, fish has played a big part in our lives. At one time the fishing fleet was here where I live. My husband would always come home with a huge fish from the very last catch. We also got a lot of lobsters. Fishermen consider lobsters, trash. So the usually toss them or keep the largest ones to take home or sell to a commercial company.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:10 PM   #12
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I could take a photo with my camera. But I don't have the cord to attach it to the computer.

I make the basic white sauce with seasonings that I will use. Old Bay, a pinch of salt and lots of pepper. Cut the cod into edible size and slowly cook (Simmering water) in clean salted water along with the peas. Drain well, add to the white sauce along with peas, and seasonings. Spoon over cooked seasoned rice.

You can add almost any frozen veggie of your choice. I always use a colorful veggie. Sometimes I will add two veggies to the white sauce. (Peas, corn, green beans, etc.) Otherwise the whole dinner is all white.

Having been married to a commercial fisherman, fish has played a big part in our lives. At one time the fishing fleet was here where I live. My husband would always come home with a huge fish from the very last catch. We also got a lot of lobsters. Fishermen consider lobsters, trash. So the usually toss them or keep the largest ones to take home or sell to a commercial company.
Firstly, your dish sounds fantastic. I will have to try that soon. I love fish and most seafood.

Secondly, how lucky are you to be married to a fisherman who brings home today's fresh catch? Super envious of you! I could eat fish and lobster every night.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:14 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
Firstly, your dish sounds fantastic. I will have to try that soon. I love fish and most seafood.

Secondly, how lucky are you to be married to a fisherman who brings home today's fresh catch? Super envious of you! I could eat fish and lobster every night.
Unfortunately both hubby #1 and#2 died of throat cancer. Heavy smokers. Now I have to buy all my seafood. I am not looking to bury #3 so I will stay single for the rest of my life.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:20 PM   #14
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Unfortunately both hubby #1 and#2 died of throat cancer. Heavy smokers. Now I have to buy all my seafood. I am not looking to bury #3 so I will stay single for the rest of my life.
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I too just lost my SO to cancer (liver) and renal failure, so it's just me and my son now. And, like you, I'm done with relationships and will stay single as well. We can stay single together!
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:16 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I too just lost my SO to cancer (liver) and renal failure, so it's just me and my son now. And, like you, I'm done with relationships and will stay single as well. We can stay single together!
I am now living is a housing unit for the elderly with my middle son. He is my caretaker. There are some gentlemen who are in the low 60's and still feeling some of their oats. So anytime on of them might be dropping hints, I just tell them this.

"I have already put two men in the ground. Right now I am looking for victim #3. Would you care to volunteer?" That takes care of that little problem.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:49 PM   #16
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am now living is a housing unit for the elderly with my middle son. He is my caretaker. There are some gentlemen who are in the low 60's and still feeling some of their oats. So anytime on of them might be dropping hints, I just tell them this.

"I have already put two men in the ground. Right now I am looking for victim #3. Would you care to volunteer?" That takes care of that little problem.
Haha, no doubt that would take care of the problem
__________________

Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rice, tomato

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×