"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 09-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Pico is a good idea- bf will like that. And I love bruschetta. Does anyone have a TNT bruschetta recipe? I've eaten it plenty of times, but never made it
We have this often and it never get's old. You will need16-18 slices of sourdough baguette, toast lightly on both sides then rub with lots of sliced garlic and brush one side with evoo. Mix about 1/4 cup of evoo with red wine vinegar oh about 2 Tab. and then add more garlic chopped fine to the evoo and vinegar, lets say 2 cloves finely chopped seed and dice 3-5 roma tomatoes, about 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion or a nice sweet onion pit and chop 10-12 kalamata olives and then finely chop 12-16 large basil leaves.Let the garlic and oil sit together at least an hour. Add the vinegar some salt and fresh ground pepper whisk til well blended Add tomato,onion,olives basil and toss with the evoo and vinegar toss now and then to marry the flavors. To serve top your bruschetta with 2 tab. of the tomatoe mix. I sometimes add some small diced avocado that I've sprinkled with lime to the tomatoe mixture. YUM If you like pesto, you could coat your toasts with the garlic and evoo then top wit pesto,pine nuts you've toasted or even toasted shopped walnuts.
kades

Old 09-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
Head Chef

These are both delicious!

ROASTED TOMATOES WITH GARLIC AND GORGONZOLA (and/or Parmesan):
Hello 2009: Roasted Tomatoes with Garlic and Gorgonzola Je Mange la Ville

BLUE CHEESE BROILED TOMATOES
Blue Cheese Broiled Tomatoes Recipe - Food.com - 43913

Old 09-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
Master Chef

I like to make stewed tomatoes once in the fall each year.

Peel some tomatoes and cut into 6ths put into a pan with some celery seed, sugar, salt, pepper, ground cloves and a good knob of butter. Cover and simmer until the tomatoes are soft, about 10 or 15 minutes.

You can also make an Italian style with peppers, onion, celery, basil, garlic,salt, pepper and olive oil.

Nice as a side with Mac & Cheese!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
Executive Chef

You can Freeze tomato sauce. I use quart size freezer bags, my most minimum size, and when it comes time to make a recipe, pull out however many quarts you need. I have frozen whole/ raw tomatoes, but they take up too much real estate in the freezer.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I freeze sauce in 16 oz yogurt tubs. When frozen, I pop them out of the "mold" and store in zip lock bags. I do the same with spaghetti sauce. You can core and seed them, put them on a cookie sheet (I put parchment on the sheet), freeze them, and then use them later (I cut in 1/2 horizontally and remove the seeds with my grapefruit knife). I don't remove the skins before I freeze them because I usually roast them before making sauce and the skins pluck off nicely when you do that. I put the tomatoes in a ziplock bag once they are frozen. The other thing you can do is half the tomatoes (vertically), remove the seeds, pack into a squarish container, freezer. Once frozen, pop out and wrap in 2 layers of freezer wrap.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Tomato and Onion Quiche!
Old 09-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Fresh salsa!
Old 09-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #18
Senior Cook

These are good Italian Oven-dried Tomatoes In Olive Oil Recipe - Food.com - 68023

I also make a basic tomato sauce using onions, garlic and herbs to freeze, it is always handy to have as a base for lots of other sauces like puttanesca or patatas bravas.

Can't imagine cooking without tomatoes.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
Master Chef

I made a good side dish last night with my home grown tomatoes. I cooked up some chopped onion and celery in butter, but next time I'll use chopped bacon. Then I added my seeded and chopped fresh tomatoes with some fresh chopped basil and cooked it all for a bit before dividing it into two individual casseroles. I mixed some melted butter with a good amount of Panko bread crumbs, along with some grated cheese to pile on top of the little casseroles and broiled them till golden brown.
I'll definitely do this again!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
Head Chef

Can't help you. The solution does not appear in my family history. In North Texas, not too many years after the Civil War, my great-grandfather was traveling into town in his buggy when he encountered a neighbor with a wagon load of bright red fruit. Having come to Texas from Kentucky in the "old states," he hadn't seen good red apples in a long time and missed them greatly. On the spot, he bought the entire wagon load and instructed his neighbor to take them to his home where his wife would know what to do with them. And he traveled on into town for business.

Now, his trips into town were never speedy. His eyesight had deteriorated badly, and he could make out only shapes and colors. But his horse knew the way to town and the way home and got him back before dark. His wife was waiting in the yard. He could see that much. He called to her to ask if his neighbor had made the delivery. "Yes," she said. "He did. And what, you old fool, am I going to do with a wagon load of tomatoes?" There's is no oral record of here finding a solution.

Tags
None