"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Too Many Cucumbers?

If like me you planted cucumbers and they seem to be stalking you, and you've run out of ideas..You might like this I do

I cut off the top part off 6 cukes the long way,then carefully scooped out the center seeds.making sure there was room for my filling I sliced a little off the bottom so they would not roll and then put salt and pepper on the insides and put on a tray. I mixed together 1-1/2c. crab meat and1-1/2c. of tiny salad shrimp, I chopped them a little...and added just enough mayo to hold the filling together, fill the cucumber boats and then sprinkle with fresh finely chopped parsley or cilantro line you platter with halved hard cooked eggs, pass some Louis dressing to spoon over boats and eggs.
enjoy
kadesma

Old 08-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Head Chef

You can also make bite-sized ones by slicing into 2-inch pieces, then scoop out the inside with a tiny melon ball-er, leaving a bottom to the mini-bowl. fill with a chopped seafood salad, or chicken salad. If you like ceviche, it would be nice. Or a dill sour cream/cream cheese in a star tip with a sprinkle of caviar and a tiny sprig of dill.. or...

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Senior Cook

You could do what I was asking about on this site a few days ago - Cold Cucumber Soup

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small yellow onion -- sliced
1 1/4 pound cucumbers -- peeled, deseeded and sliced
2 cups light chicken stock -- plus additional stock as needed
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup heavy or double cream or milk
Sour Cream for garnish
Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]

Directions:
In a deep saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 3 minutes.

Add the cucumbers, mix well and pour in stock. Reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered, until the cucumbers are tender, about 20 minutes.

Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Working in batches, puree the cucumber mixture in a blender, adding a little stock to thin, if necessary.

Pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours to chill thoroughly.

Just before serving, add the salt and the cream or milk, mixing well. Ladle into chilled bowls, A small dollop of sour cream and serve immediately.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
Head Chef

i make my low calorie sandwiches these days and they r great.grill some thick round slices of cucumber and egg plant on a grill or pan using some salt pepper and oilve oil.take 2 slices of whole grain bread,apply ketsup on one and a thin layer of low fat mayo on other.and put slices of both the veggies and slices of hard boiled egg(or poached egg,this is another variation)on it,cover with the other toast.enjoy!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

This is what is so great here at DC..We see a recipe someone has posted and we add to it and before we know it we have several new recipes to try. I love the sharing what fun and great help.
Thanks all of you.
kadesma
Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Kades, if you have "The Book!" [Mastering the Art of French Cooking] there is a whole host of recipes for COOKED cucumbers. If you've never tried cooking them, you're in for a treat!

I wouldn't have thought of it, except that I'm now reading Julie Powell's book, and I just passed the part where she was cooking cucumbers every night for a week or so.

Might be worth a try.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

June, I had read that cucumbers sauted in butter with salt and pepper were outstanding.So, off to the store I go and I'll try them..I think I need a new cookbook..Thanks for the hint
kades
Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Are you planning to make pickles? I have always wanted to make bread and butter pickles.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I made about 4 batches, my oldest son loves b&b pickles. These were so easy it only took putting them in a jar with lid and into thre refrigerator overnight and they were ready to eat. The whole family loves them.I can get the recipe if you'd like it, just let me know.
kades
Old 08-13-2009, 06:00 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Kades, if you have "The Book!" [Mastering the Art of French Cooking] there is a whole host of recipes for COOKED cucumbers. If you've never tried cooking them, you're in for a treat!

I wouldn't have thought of it, except that I'm now reading Julie Powell's book, and I just passed the part where she was cooking cucumbers every night for a week or so.

Might be worth a try.
cooked cucumbers are always great.i even add them in my stir-fries with other ingredients and their taste stands out,different from any other cooked veggie.they r so nutty and tasty.

Tags
None