"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 09-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #11
Head Chef
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
since i am from the south, i have eaten all of the above methods of turnips. been in calif for 50 years. hardly ever see them here. we i have served them people were not impressed. once i do em just for me.
That's it mostly! I was born and raised in Western North Carolina - loved those turnips. Moved to Ohio a bunch of years ago and sure enough I really checked my favorite fresh fruits and veggies department today. Looked like five or six kinds of cabbage, thirty or forty kinds of lettuce :), bunches of this and that and at most, a double handfull of turnips. They're mostly a southern thing I guess.

I shall save these ideas in my DC recipe file!

David Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
question, my wife picked up some turnip for thursday, i was expecting a big hard wax covered thing, i got 3 small "purple top turinps,
question one, what was i cooking befor
question two, what do i do with these

paddfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #13
Master Chef
What you apparently were expecting was a Rutabaga; what you got were turnips.

If you were planning on the usually turkey-day Rutabaga mash, either you or your wife need to revisit the store to pick one up. Small white purple-top turnips, while delicious in their own right, aren't going to make a turkey-day mash.

For the little purple tops you have, just peel them, cut them up & cook them as you would carrots. They're great just buttered, or buttered & sugar-glazed.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
thanx breezy, i'll be going out tomorrow for a rutabaga, i love those things, especially in boiled dinner.

wow im getting hungry just thinking about it
paddfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:09 PM   #15
Executive Chef
turnips, rutabaga, parsnips...love soups, love to be mixed with mashed potatoes, really love to be roasted next to your bird or joint of meat. Roast them mixed alone with beets and celery root, olive oil and thyme, s & p!

Turnips also love carrots ...steam them together and then rough chop them together. Outstanding!
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:16 PM   #16
Master Chef
I tried to try to talk DH into trying parsnips, but no luck, so I told him to just get me some, and he won't have to eat them.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #17
Sous Chef
I saw a recipe in the Wahington post for a Roasted turnip and carrot soup so I made something similar. I roasted turnips and red peppers, then pureed them and then put them in already made chicken soup stock that had celery, onion and carrots, garlic too I think. I added some cream and decided to use nutmeg as a spice. Need lots of salt and pepper too. Came out real well, I always have good luck with soups, not the same for desserts.

jpinmaryland is offline   Reply With Quote