Twisted Green Bean Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I never did care for the flavor of mushroom soup in the original recipe, and the idea of using half my fried onion rings in the soup mixture turned out with soggy breading which was unappetizing.

Here is the way I overcame those shortcomings with a few twists of my own:​

Twisted Green Bean Casserole

Ingredients

1/2 cup sliced green onions
8 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms (baby bella)
2 cups sliced green beans (one can, drained)
2 cups chicken broth
1-2 Tbs. Garlic smashed cloves or pre-minced bits
1 can cream of cheddar soup
1 2.5 oz. pkg. Real Bacon bits
1 (6 oz.) pkg. French-fried onion

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Simmer mushroom, diced onion, and garlic in broth and drain. Add the green beans, cheddar cheese soup, bacon, and seasonings, to taste, to the mushroom/onion mixture.

Stir well. Pour into a greased 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Top with fried onion. Cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes, remove foil and bake for 10 minutes longer, or until the casserole is hot and onion rings are toasted.

Boy, that really sounds good, Z. And Easter is coming up soon; but then, you knew that. Anyhow, thanks a lot for twisting them beans.

Thanks! You're welcome.

I been hunting through recipes, until I found one by Paula Dean that added cheddar cheese and that did the trick. I knew I had cheddar cheese soup so I tried it last night. It got a WOW on first bite. A new keeper.

Thinking about Thanksgiving gave me a hankering for another Twisted Green Bean Casserole.

Of course I'm making changes, so just to let you know:

I won't need the chicken broth, as I've got some turkey neck broth on hand. I also don't have green onions, so regular will do, one thin sliced regular onion. I'll drain them off after simmering and return the turkey neck broth to the freezer.

I bought two cans of "No Salt Added" cut green beans. The cream of cheddar soup is plenty salty.

I'm also using both cans of beans, so I'm adding a second can of the cheddar cheese soup.

I already had some sliced saute'd baby bella mushrooms with garlic butter in the freezer, so that's thawing now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom