Uglyripe Tomato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me too, I'm heading to the store in about an hour. If the Uglyripe is showing up in Pennsylvania, they're hopefully showing up in Ohio, too!

Damp, you don't have Giant grocery stores do you? I know they're throughout the Midatlantic with different names (Martin's, Edward's in NJ, Giant). Anyway, if they're around you, check there first--that's where I found mine.

Is 'Giant Eagle' part of that group? The nearest one of those is about 45 minute drive. I have a Kroger that's 5 minutes away and they do not have any Uglyripes. They do have a fresh shipment of Roma tomatoes that look pretty good, I might do pasta tomorrow.

No, Giant Eagle is a different company. I grew up with them, tho, when we lived in Western PA. Maybe luvs can see if they have them--she has Giant Eagles around her.

Boy, I feel priviledged to have my store inform me through the internet of the ugly tomato. I went right up there, tried them, wonderful. Hardly no white inside at all. The thing I don't understand is you don't refrigerate them. I just wonder where they come up with these different vegetables. I never heard of them before. They sure do have good flavor. I just hope i don't read somewhere that they fill some kind of covering up with the meat and juice and passes it off as ugly. If I didn't know better I would be sure they came from someone's garden. Especially since they are not cold. Just love them. Pretty expensive. What isn't?

In the Kitchen said:
The thing I don't understand is you don't refrigerate them.
You should actually never refrigerate any tomato. The cold temp permanently destroys certain flavor compounds in the fruit.

GB doesn't the tomatoes get soft then? The guys at the store bring them from the cooler. Don't you refrigerate any of your tomatoes? Do you have enough room to leave them on the counter? I try to go to the store only once week. I would have to go everyday if i didn't put them in the fridge.

I usually go to the store daily so I don't buy a ton of tomatoes all at once. In the summer when I grow my own I do have a lot on hang. I have a hanging wire basket (3 tiers) that I keep them in when I have a lot. The don't go sort, but they are usually used up pretty quickly. I do keep some tomato products in the fridge I will admit. Things like ketchup and a tube of tomato paste, but those things are usually so processed and heated that the damage has already been done.

GB just got 3lbs again and there was some kind of styrofoam? netting around them that I kept and put them in there when I got home. I am making the eggplant recipe with salami that amber posted some time ago. My family can't eat enough of that. They will want it until they get tired and then tell me to fix something else with the eggplant. They are all partial to eggplant. I heard it contains potassium or something beneficial. Did you try her dish? Maybe you don't care for salami.

GB eggplant creation is what is listed under. Just look and see if you like ingredients, since you have tomatoes already!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom