Uses of Green (unripe) tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So, Im on a business trip down south ( Atlanta, Georgia) and I've eaten in a few fancy restaurants the past few days. Each with a Green tomato component.

Day 1 was a Green tomato marmalade. I didnt know what it was at first, so I was trying to guess ( at first I thought grapes, then other things came to mind, but I couldnt quite pinpoint the consistency). Finally I broke down and checked the menu. It was actually pretty good. Once I knew what it was, I could taste the tomato aspect of it.

Day 2 I got a grilled vegetable dish, Zucchini, eggplant, peppers, portbello and a Green tomato. Not the greatest thing in the world, but still very good, and another way I can use my unripened tomatoes.

In addition to this, there is the obvious Fried green tomatoes ( which Ive made in the past, Pickled green tomatoes ( which I have a gallon of waiting for me when I get home. Finally, I had an older Italian gentleman tell me that when he has tomatoes that are kind of green with a slight color to it, he dices them, a little balsamic, olive oil, salt, pepper to make a salsa with them (havent tried this one yet , but I will with next years partially ripened tomatoes).

So this brings me to my question. What other uses of Green ( unripened ) tomatoes have you guys either heard of, tried or suggest???

( also had myself some cheddar cheese grits and corn filled ravioli, peach cobbler ...) Im trying to load up on as much souther food ( vegetarian, kinda hard to avoid bacon and lard, but Im trying) as I can.

Larry

Terrific suggestions guys, cant wait to try them. Its kinda cool that I was able to experience some foods from the south. Actually did a road trip from NEw york. Wanted to visit my friend in Tennessee, but didnt quite work out. Georgia is treating me very well and the weather ( at least this week) has been perfect.

i'm interested in all of the responses so far and those to come, larry.

i have a lot of green tomatoes that i doubt will ripen as nights are starting to drop into the 40s here.

the diced one with balsamic sounds really good. is it regular balsamic, or reduced?

it's a good thing you're not travelling just south of the quad cities of davenport, iowa.

i was there visiting relatives once, and after day upon day of all kinds of meat and fried things ( including fried meat), i saw a veggie platter on a menu so i immediately ordered it.

it was various veggies beer battered and deep fried in bacon fat .

when i got home, i ate salads for a week.

Last edited:
Yeah, being down here in the south , trying to avoid bacon and lard is a challenge, but the restaurants Ive been in are top notch, and they seem to be doing right by me ( they better at those prices).

The way the gentleman described it to me, it seamed the balsamic was straight up ( not reduced). He was an older Italian gentleman just shooting off recipes by the bunch. I did everything in my power to remember them and get them on paper as he was talking. The only thing he stressed was that they were green, with just a hint of color. I know ive cut open some green ones in the past, but the inside is kinda pink. Im guessing that is what he was talking about. Strictly an experiment from my end. Unfortunately, I found out about it after I had pickled all of my greenies, so Ill have to wait til next year to try the salsa. That being said, if you give it a try, let me know if its worth the effort, or what changes / suggestions you make.

Sounds like you are getting an education in Southern food. Like you said, avoiding those bacon and lard laden foods are quite a challenge. Good luck! :angel:

Yeah, Im loving it. Although Im down here on business, Its the food experience Im enjoying most and what will probably be more memorable to me. After I eat anything, I pull out my phone and leave a note for myself giving the best description of the dish, and how ( off the top of my head) I would attempt to duplicate it. My memory isnt the greatest, but I can tell you everything Ive eaten in any restaurant Ive been to in all the cities ive ever visited. Just the way m mind works :) I wish there was a market close by that I can stroll through. ( like union square farmers market in NY, Or reading market in Philly. Unfortunately, my schedule is too tight, not much room for me to deviate

GREEN TOMATO CHUTNEY

(Useful for using a glut of unripe tomatoes at the end of the summer)

4lbs green (unripe) tomatoes - wiped, bruised parts cut away & toms sliced
1lb 1lb apples - peeled and finely chopped
1lb onions finely chopped
8 ounces sultanas (or sultanas) chopped
1 level tablespoon salt
1 level teaspoon mustard seeds
1 level teaspoon ground ginger (powdered ginger)
1/4 level teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pint malt vinegar (At least 5% acidity but 6% is better if you can find it.
Cider vinegar will do if malt not available but NOT clear vinegar)
1lb soft brown sugar

Place the toms, apples, sultanas,and onions into a large stove-top cooking pot

Mix the salt, mustard seed, ginger, cayenne into half the vinegar and add to the pot. Cover with a lid and cook gently for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the contents are soft and pulpy. (you could probably do this bit in batches in a pressure cooker although I haven't done so)

Dissolve the sugar in the rest of the vinegar and add to the cooked mixture. Stirring thoroughly bring to the boil and taking care not to let it burn cook gently without a lid until the mixture is thick and no free liquid remains in the pan (when you draw the spoon through the mixture it should leave a "ditch" with little or no free liquid).

Pour at once into hot jars (I wash mine in the dishwasher and dry them in a low oven which sterilises them and leaves them hot for potting the chutney. Be careful not to burn yourself)) to within 1/2 an inch of the tops. Cover and seal immediately. Makes about 8lbs of chutney. Store in a cool dry cupboard or pantry for 2 or three months before eating to allow the flavours to develop.

This is my cooking grandmother's recipe - the comments in italics are my additions as the recipe is, to my knowledge at least 60 years old and probably older. I pot mine in Kilner jars (like Mason jars) because it's convenient but if I'm selling it at the church fete or giving it away to anyone who's unlikely to return the jars it goes in any re-cycled jam or pickle jars with vinegar-proof screw top lids.

There is no need to can this as the vinegar does the preserving. It gets eaten quickly in our family but if unopened it lasts at least until the next glut of unripe tomatoes. Good with bread and cheese, cold meats, etc. It's a mild chutney so fine for children and adults who don't like spicy chutney but if you want it "hotter" next time you can tweak the amounts of spices to your own taste.

Last edited:
Well, go on then. Don't keep us in suspenders. Give us the recipe (please)!

This recipe is similar to the recipe my Grandmother used, I think hers had a little molasses in it.

Old Fashioned Green Tomato Mincemeat Recipe

This is what I use! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
k2-_8746edd9-8a59-4026-9aee-c17cdf749826.v1.jpg

I made green tomato mincemeat a couple years ago, in fact, it was Alix's recipe, and it was really good.

Green Mince Meat

Categories:
Source: DC Alix

Ingredients

• (null)

Directions

6 cups grated green tomatoes
6 cups shredded apples (macintosh or granny smiths)
4 cups raisins/craisins (a combination of dark and golden raisins)
4 cups brown sugar
1 cup vinegar
1 cup candied citrus peel
1 tbsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
3/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Bring to a boil for a few minutes, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer until thick, which usually takes about 1/5 - 2 hours. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of butter. Can or freeze as usual.

from http://therecipeboxapp.com

Last edited:
Doesn't matter, I guess, since the mixture is already hot. I don't recall what I did, think I just cut it into chunks.

I had C&P the recipe to my recipebox.

Last edited:
I made green tomato mincemeat a couple years ago, in fact, it was Alix's recipe, and it was really good.

Green Mince Meat

Categories:
Source: DC Alix

Ingredients

• (null)

Directions

6 cups grated green tomatoes
6 cups shredded apples (macintosh or granny smiths)
4 cups raisins/craisins (a combination of dark and golden raisins)
4 cups brown sugar
1 cup vinegar
1 cup candied citrus peel
1 tbsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
3/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Bring to a boil for a few minutes, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer until thick, which usually takes about 1/5 - 2 hours. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of butter. Can or freeze as usual.

from The Recipe Box by Corpus Collusion
I've already got this year's mincemeat but I'll have a go at this next time.

Back
Top Bottom