"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
It's time to switch everything into grams. Of course it would be silly to measure onion in grams for a soup��

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
obviously large amounts would be counted in kilogrammes or kilos.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Oh, no Charlie: That's all we need is to change out measurements. We still can't agree how much a half on onion is!

Do you really think this is the time to change our measurements?

You're a smart man. Can't you figure our a better way???

xoxo Z
I think that would be perfect way. it would simplify everything. Also scale manufacturers will be happy, and no I am not getting a cut from their profit.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:49 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Gah! No switching to metric! I didn't understand it in 5th grade, and I sure as heck won't be able to figure it out now!
I had an argument about that at my work with one person. If you know how to count to 10 then you Do understand metric system It is that simple. I've been in America 25 years, eh, not quite not for another 8 hours and 15 minutes, the only reason I understand standard system is because I use scale or ruler or tape measure. Same with metric, but much-much easier, there is nothing to understand. Just use measuring devices and you are perfectly ok.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Perhaps it's my age but metric just doesn't make sense. However, more and more newly published recipes don't give alternatives so I have "bilingual" scales for measuring (and don't get me onto the subject of "cups"!)
Oh, now come on. YOu live in England, most everything is metric nowadays. Besides, the only reason people do not understand metric because they are trying to figure out how much it would be in the old system. Stop figuring out, stop comparing. Just use the scale or measuring cup. It doesn't matter what it is in pounds, besides English pound is different than American is it not? Or is it mile?
Old 01-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I agree it would be a better, easier method, Charlie, but all the recipes I know of are written for cups and spoons.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:20 PM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I agree it would be a better, easier method, Charlie, but all the recipes I know of are written for cups and spoons.
True in the USA. Less true elsewhere.

I'm in the process of converting the measurements in my recipes to metric units and weights where it makes sense.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Oh, now come on. YOu live in England, most everything is metric nowadays. Besides, the only reason people do not understand metric because they are trying to figure out how much it would be in the old system. Stop figuring out, stop comparing. Just use the scale or measuring cup. It doesn't matter what it is in pounds, besides English pound is different than American is it not? Or is it mile?
To the best of my knowledge pounds (weight) and miles are the same . It's pints that are different. Yours are 16 ounces: ours are 20 ounces so be careful if you are drinking in a pub over here.

There was an outcry when the UK was about to go metric, with the result that beer and milk is still sold in pints.Distances on road signs are given in miles. Very good at sitting on fences are us Brits.

We still measure the height of horses in "hands" ( ie multiples of 4inches) but there is a move to use centimetres. Fortunately 4inches = 10 cms so should be easy but I still have problems. I can imagine the height of a 15.3 hands horse but tell me that it's 153 cms and I'm sunk.

It doesn't help that I'm dyscalculic.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Using less onion not noticing big differences

Canadians use imperial gallons for gas (petrol), I assume it's the same across the pond?

I hear ya about the math skills.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
...It's pints that are different. Yours are 16 ounces: ours are 20 ounces...
Here in the US, two pints equals one quart (32 fl. oz.). Is the British Quart 40 fluid ounces? Or don't you have quarts?
Old 01-06-2015, 01:35 AM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'll usually chop whatever size onion I have on hand, eyeball what I think should go into the pot dependent upon the volume of other ingredients, and if I have leftover I freeze it. I'll spread the chopped onion on a baking sheet and put it into the freezer. Once frozen, I slid them into a zipper freezer bag and file for a future use.
Word for word....I do exactly the same.

Tags
icing, onion, other