Using less onion not noticing big differences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want my ashes weighed in ounces, after that they can do whatever they like! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
:ROFLMAO: It's theponly way I'll ever fit into a size 2 anything...

We've highjacked Larry's thread with silliness.

I have determined a "1 cup onion" is about the size of a baseball and fits comfortably in my hand.

I don't use onions at all. I just don't like them. I will use onion powder and shallots. But onions, nope. My mom tells me that I use to eat onions raw, like apples. I don't know if I believe her. :D

I don't have any problem with the math that has been in use here since I was a kid or the metric system. I just can't do it and don't even try anymore. I am lucky if I can even remember my street address and the number on my apartment door. I am totally "number" impaired. So change it if you must. I won't be able to do that math either. My kids constantly tease me about my lack of any math skills. But that is okay with me. I just ignore them. :angel:

I taught a course once for people on low incomes and very often 'stretched' ingredients including onions, using half a clove of garlic instead of a whole one, slicing tomatoes thinner and cutting potatoes into 3's instead of 2's. All kinds of tricks that help to cut the budget but not the quality of the dish.
This could be a good thread couldn't it for budget saving tips? ;)

I use onion almost every day in one thing or another.

In the fall and winter I try to buy small boiling onions at the farmers market, two pounds for a dollar. The little onions are just right when cooking for one.

When I do have to use part of a large onion I keep the remaining onion in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid, in the fridge they last for several days.

I also prefer to use powdered onion in some recipes. I find that when I make cabbage salad the powdered onion tastes better than the fresh.

The best money saving tip I can offer is to use your imagination and every morsel of food you buy, eliminate waste! If you still find yourself tossing food then cut back on your purchases. IMO it is not a sin to run out of something, but it is a sin to waste it. That concludes my sermon for today! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Here in the US, two pints equals one quart (32 fl. oz.). Is the British Quart 40 fluid ounces? Or don't you have quarts?

You are correct. An imperial quart is 40 fluid ounces. An imperial gallon is larger as well at 160 fluid ounces (compared to 128 in the US).

I found this out the hard way when I first began making wine and purchased a 5-gallon wine kit that was manufactured in Canada. It turns out that 5 gallons in Canada is 6 gallons in the US. As a result, the supposed 5 gallons of wine didn't fit in my 5 (US) gallon container. :wacko:

I also agree that the US would be much better off to adopt the metric system. After using it for various things, I've found it to be far simpler than the antiquated measures we stubbornly refuse to give up in this country. The problem is that we have ourselves convinced that it's difficult.

For example, water freezes at 0° C and boils at 100° C. That sure seems easier to remember than arbitrary values like 32 and 212.

Last edited:
Have you tried 'sweet onions'? They are all I use in cooking. Milder and sweeter. Not so strong flavored as regular 'cooking onions. IMO

My money saving tip taught to me by my mother.

If you cut root veggies into smaller pieces and place a lid on the pot, they will cook faster and save on fuel costs.

When I would make just plain boiled potatoes for the kids, I would peel one small potato for each child. One scoop with the large serving spoon equaled one small potato. The kids would mash their own potato and put butter and salt on them. I would cut the carrots into small thin slices and served them the same way. One scoop. Then the kids would mash their carrots into their potato. They used the same amount of butter for the two veggies instead on a pat for each veggie. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom