"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
Head Chef

Using less onion not noticing big differences

After years of cooking, I'm starting to notice that I don't really need to use as much onion as recipes usually call for. Most recipes seem to call for 1 onion chopped up. I started realizing that its a bit overwhelming. You get a lot out of a chopped onion and onions do vary in size.

Does anyone else ever notice this? I'm not saying that I never or would never need to use a whole onion cut up, but it just more I'm noticing more frequently that I don't need to use that! much onion in things that I make.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
Master Chef

I find that to be the case with many ingredients.

When I was young I was a "kitchen sink" type of cook, I tossed all sorts of things into the pot and if a little was good then more was better!

Now that I'm older I prefer to make things with fewer ingredients and smaller amounts of ingredients that play a supporting role in the recipe.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I've been working on making smaller size amounts of food, less leftovers with varying success. " Working on it" is the operative word.

Onions vary in size so much. And then there is the "we" factor. What a medium onion to one of us may be a large to another. It would be simpler if recipes specified use by Cup size amounts, but then, what is one to do with a little bit of left-over onion, toss it? or use it. Of course, Use it and it's a Heaping Size measure. So here we are back to the beginning.

I have seen bags of diced onions in the freezer section. I think that could be helpful when you want a specific amount, such as a handful. Now, there's an accurate measurement.

I look for bags of onions that are smaller in size ( when possible) so I can use just some or a little or add a 2nd smaller onion if more is wanted.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Since onions do vary in size so much, I just eyeball how much I want based on our taste and the amounts of other ingredients in the recipe.

I also keep a produce bag from shopping each week and collect leftover pieces of cut veggies in it for later use. This way, bits and pieces don't get lost in the crisper.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:38 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I try to get bags of onions with varying sizes. I then choose the onion best suited to the dish I am making.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I try to get bags of onions with varying sizes. I then choose the onion best suited to the dish I am making.
+1!!
Old 01-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #7
Head Chef

I love onions so I tend to use a lot...but when making potluck or cooking for others I cut down on onions... It can be overwhelming for some folks... You kind of know when you're cutting them how much you should use...

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 01-03-2015, 11:25 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I too like bags of various sized onions. And I also like a lot of onions in my food.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:08 AM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I figure a large onion is one cup diced and that is enough for a dish that serves 6. If I have monster onions, I go ahead and saute the extra and toss in the fridge or freezer. They will get used.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:14 AM   #10
Master Chef

I use only white onions as they are milder and don't bother my stomach, even raw. They just seem to have a softer flavor, if that makes sense. I use lots of white onions in my cooking. They are the least expensive produce we buy at 4 lbs for a dollar at the local Mexican market where they also have cilantro for a quarter a bunch. Love that place!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icing, onion, other