"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,379
Vegan/Gout Friendly Sausages



For the wet ingredients to a blender add Navy Beans, Miso, Bean cooking liquid, garlic, green onions and black pepper. Blend until smooth.

For the dry ingredients add Vital Wheat Gluten, nutritional yeast and Cajun Seasoning.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix.

Form the sausage logs with plastic wrap and steam for 45 minutes.

Let cool and remove plastic wrap.
Brown and serve.

Printable recipe here: Vegan / Gout Friendly Sausages

__________________

__________________
My blog http://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:19 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,184
Ive made similar recipes like this in the past.
Ill be sure to try this one out.
Thanks for the recipe.
__________________

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:07 AM   #3
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,379
Your very welcome.

It really is a blank slate that you can season anyway. Next time I might do breakfast sausages.
__________________
My blog http://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:59 AM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Gerona
Posts: 361
Power Plan Top ..

Interesting ..

When I had gone to a Travel Tourism Convention in the heart of Wash D.C., the hotel had offered our Company group, a tour of the food shops.

There is a fresh Sausage artisanial Kiosk not far from the Main hotels and they have approx .. 200 types of sausage ranging from Porc, beef, lamb, seafood, vegetarian, vegan etcetra ..

It was absolutely amazing.

I do not remember the Name of the Establishment but it is not indoors .. A stationery outdoor Kiosk .. Does not move and it is quite large for this type of food business ..

I have to look at my Trip notes of Wash D.C. trip of 2015. I have their business card ! I did not want to forget ..

In 2016, the yearly convention was held in Manhattan ..

This year, I will find out, in September, where the next one is ..

Have a nice summer ..
__________________
Uncountable artists, have found immense beauty, and amazing cuisine, in this white washed Catalan fishing village, called Cadaqués.
Sagittarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:10 AM   #5
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Your very welcome.

It really is a blank slate that you can season anyway. Next time I might do breakfast sausages.
Yeah, i've messed around with the seasoning in the past. One thing I found was that it usually needs more seasoning than expected. I've made similar things, and found them to be bland, so when I went back to the drawing board, I got a little more heavy handed when seasoning.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:04 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Yeah, i've messed around with the seasoning in the past. One thing I found was that it usually needs more seasoning than expected. I've made similar things, and found them to be bland, so when I went back to the drawing board, I got a little more heavy handed when seasoning.
Yep it does take more seasoning than what I thought it would need.
__________________
My blog http://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
Power Plan Top ..

Interesting ..

When I had gone to a Travel Tourism Convention in the heart of Wash D.C., the hotel had offered our Company group, a tour of the food shops.

There is a fresh Sausage artisanial Kiosk not far from the Main hotels and they have approx .. 200 types of sausage ranging from Porc, beef, lamb, seafood, vegetarian, vegan etcetra ..

It was absolutely amazing.

I do not remember the Name of the Establishment but it is not indoors .. A stationery outdoor Kiosk .. Does not move and it is quite large for this type of food business ..

I have to look at my Trip notes of Wash D.C. trip of 2015. I have their business card ! I did not want to forget ..

In 2016, the yearly convention was held in Manhattan ..

This year, I will find out, in September, where the next one is ..

Have a nice summer ..
If I am ever back in DC I will have to look for them.
__________________
My blog http://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
Power Plan Top ..

Interesting ..

When I had gone to a Travel Tourism Convention in the heart of Wash D.C., the hotel had offered our Company group, a tour of the food shops.

There is a fresh Sausage artisanial Kiosk not far from the Main hotels and they have approx .. 200 types of sausage ranging from Porc, beef, lamb, seafood, vegetarian, vegan etcetra ..

It was absolutely amazing.
I'll probably be in the Washington DC area next spring, so if they have vegetarian / vegan varieties, I'd be very interested in their name / location.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,672
Quote:
  • 1 Cup Navy Beans [COLOR=#999999 !important]Cooked[/COLOR]
  • 1 Tablspoons Miso [COLOR=#999999 !important]Red or White[/COLOR]
  • 2 Cups Water [COLOR=#999999 !important]or water from cooking the beans[/COLOR]
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 Tablespoons green onions
  • 1 Pinch black pepper

Dry


If I make these, I have all the ingredients except for the cajun seasoning. I'd like it go well with sauerkraut and potatoes. It can't have hot peppers, like cayenne powder due to Dh's allergy to hot peppers.

Can you make a guesstimate of the amount and type of seasoning I might try? I have all kinds of spices and herbs, lots, but no seasoning mixes. Do you think perhaps the cajun seasoning has salt in it?
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
If I make these, I have all the ingredients except for the cajun seasoning. I'd like it go well with sauerkraut and potatoes. It can't have hot peppers, like cayenne powder due to Dh's allergy to hot peppers.

Can you make a guesstimate of the amount and type of seasoning I might try? I have all kinds of spices and herbs, lots, but no seasoning mixes. Do you think perhaps the cajun seasoning has salt in it?
Most cajun seasonings do have a high percent of salt. So if you do not use that add some more salt. Then you can add any thing that you like in sausage. Like sage, maple syrup or coriander.
__________________

__________________
My blog http://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
navy or northern beans, recipe, sage, sausage, vegan

Vegan/Gout Friendly Sausages [IMG]http://jamesstrange.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/sausages.jpeg[/IMG] For the wet ingredients to a blender add Navy Beans, Miso, Bean cooking liquid, garlic, green onions and black pepper. Blend until smooth. For the dry ingredients add Vital Wheat Gluten, nutritional yeast and Cajun Seasoning. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix. Form the sausage logs with plastic wrap and steam for 45 minutes. Let cool and remove plastic wrap. Brown and serve. Printable recipe here: [url=http://jamesstrange.com/recipe/vegan-gout-friendly-sausages/]Vegan / Gout Friendly Sausages[/url] 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.