"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hermes, I dried some Hen of the Woods mushrooms two years ago, and they're still crisp. I don't eat them out of hand, but I do rehydrate them for dishes.

My dehydrator is an American Harvest. A very basic model, but you can buy extra trays for it. It's old, but as I recall, not expensive.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Wow that is an impressive amount of time for mushrooms to keep their crisp - and they do taste like a pleasant crispy, crunchy snack? Since I bought some dehydrated mushrooms in a store and they were chewy and soggy and unpleasant. I'm hoping that dehydrating will be able to achieve the same crunchy effect of roasting since roasting does do it well as it browns the vegetables.

I am nonetheless happy to say the I will be experimenting myself with dehydrating as I just bought the following dehydrator.

CUISINPRO 600W 10 TRAY FOOD DEHYDRATOR W TIMER

On ebay.co.uk, it's similar to the Excalibar but basically a cheaper version.

This all might end up becoming a terrible experiment with soggy vegetable snacks but I can only find out if I try and if I end up with a new amazing snack, this will have to be my holy grail of snacks!

Thanks for all the help again Dawgluver. I will give an update once I start using the dehydrator and making vegetable snacks.

P.S. In addition, I've ordered a mandoline slicer so with this combination I should hopefully be a force to reckoned with in the vegetable snack making domain.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I just went to the cupboard, got out the bag of Hen mushrooms I dried 9/2010, and took a bite. Yep, still crisp!

You will love your dehydrator and mando! Since stuff dries at such a low temp, there is no risk of burning. I like my tomatoes and apple slices on the leathery side, but if you want stuff crisp there is no harm in leaving it in longer than the recommended time. My dehydrated watermelon is crisp, something I would not have believed.

You may want to consider a kevlar glove for use of the mando. Saves your fingers and much more manageable than the guide.

Have fun! I'm excited for you!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermes14 View Post
Wow that is an impressive amount of time for mushrooms to keep their crisp - and they do taste like a pleasant crispy, crunchy snack? Since I bought some dehydrated mushrooms in a store and they were chewy and soggy and unpleasant. I'm hoping that dehydrating will be able to achieve the same crunchy effect of roasting since roasting does do it well as it browns the vegetables.

I am nonetheless happy to say the I will be experimenting myself with dehydrating as I just bought the following dehydrator.

CUISINPRO 600W 10 TRAY FOOD DEHYDRATOR W TIMER

On ebay.co.uk, it's similar to the Excalibar but basically a cheaper version.

This all might end up becoming a terrible experiment with soggy vegetable snacks but I can only find out if I try and if I end up with a new amazing snack, this will have to be my holy grail of snacks!

Thanks for all the help again Dawgluver. I will give an update once I start using the dehydrator and making vegetable snacks.

P.S. In addition, I've ordered a mandoline slicer so with this combination I should hopefully be a force to reckoned with in the vegetable snack making domain.
Since it is not recommended to eat raw mushrooms, you might not want to eat the dehydrated mushrooms as snacks. I have some mushrooms that I've had in a jar for 3 years. They too are still crisp and used sparingly because they are Morels and I never know how bountiful the harvest will be or when I will be able to raid my dad's stash in MN. I think you'll enjoy the dehydrator. I toss everything in ziplock bags and freeze for 24 hours before putting in jars.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Deep fry a selection of veggies in batter, and make a dip to go with them. I usually make sweet and sour dip. You can make it by cooking sugar with vinegar.
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:13 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

That sounds lovely Mel
Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I accidentally discovered the wonders of dried sweet potato shreds.

Read all about it here.

Tags
other