"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 09-26-2006, 08:41 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I only have had dandelions raw in the salads, like kadesma. Maybe "bitter" is not a perfect word to describe it, but it does have a flavour that is "pleasantly sharp", in a way (but not exactly the same) rocket and radicchio do. I have heard of them being cooked but I have never tried it personally, I think I prefer them as a salad ingredient...

Old 09-26-2006, 10:52 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Can't add much to the wonderful ideas you've already got, above. We do our greens boiled until tender, then dressed just with olive oil, lemon, and salt (or vinegar and garlic in the case of beet greens).

However, once you do find one or more kinds of greens you like, you could always do a version of spanakopita -- greens, feta, and a crust. Bitter greens mixed with sweet leeks is a really nice combination!

Old 09-26-2006, 09:10 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Amber ~ You mentioned that you have never cooked a fresh beet and asked if you should just boil it until tender. Yes, you may do that, but I like to bake beets. Wash the beets well and trim off the stem. Wrap the beets in foil adding a tablespoon or two of water. Let cook in a 350º oven until tender -- you will have to open the packet every once in a while and test the beets. The cooking time depends on the size of the beets. When cooked, allow to cool somewhat and then (using rubber gloves unless you want pink fingers) slip the skins off the beets. I marinate the beets in olive oil, lemon juice, and herbs of your choice. I think baked beets are tastier and sweeter than boiled. Give it a try!!
Old 09-26-2006, 09:52 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
I've never cooked a fresh beet, so do you just boil them til tender I guess?
I just trim them and wrap them in heavy duty aluminum foil and roast them in a 400 degree F oven for 45 minutes to an hour and a half, depending upon the size of the beets. Peel the skins off after they're done. Yummy!
Old 09-27-2006, 03:45 PM   #15
Head Chef

amber

I have never cooked Vegetable greens but I know that one our fantastic cooks and chefs will be able to help you out.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:04 PM   #16
Master Chef

Here's one of my favorite ways to prepare Swiss Chard:

Sauteed Swiss Chard
1 bunch of Swiss Chard
Water
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2-3 garlic cloves, peeled
Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
Grated Parmesan Cheese (optional)
Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs (optional)

Fill a pot large enough to hold the chard with water & bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, separate the chard leaves from the stems. Trim & discard the stem ends & cut the stems into 1"-2" pieces depending on stem thickness. Roughly chop/slice up the leaves, keeping them separate from the stem pieces. When the water reaches a boil, add the stems & cook for around 5 minutes. Then add the leaves to the pot as well & continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Drain in a colander.
Heat some extra-virgin olive oil in a skillet. Smash the peeled garlic cloves with the side of a large knife, sprinkle them with salt & mince (the salt will keep the garlic from flying around your cutting board as you mince it). Add the drained chard, minced garlic, & crushed red pepper flakes to taste & stir until heated thru.
Sprinkle with grated Parmesan &/or Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs if desired, stir again, & serve.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:05 PM   #17
Master Chef

My favorite recipe for Kale:

GREEK PENNE PASTA WITH KALE AND FETA

1 pound penne pasta (Barilla is my favorite brand), cooked according to package directions & drained
1 block/container of Feta cheese, chopped/crumbled
Approx. 24 Kalamata olives, pitted, & roughly chopped **
Approx. 1 pound Kale, rinsed, stems removed & discarded, & leaves roughly sliced/chopped
1 red onion, peeled & chopped
A few dollops of extra virgin olive oil for sauteeing
Dash or so of chicken broth or water
Dash of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

While the cooked pasta is draining in a colander, heat the olive oil & saute the onion until soft but not brown in the pot the pasta was cooked in. Add the kale, stir a bit, & add a dash or 2 of chicken broth or water to prevent burning. Add chopped olives & stir until kale has wilted down. Add cooked pasta, feta cheese, & crushed red pepper & stir again until pasta is heated through. Serve hot or at room temperature.

** Pitting the olives is accomplished easily by simply placing your broad kitchen knife (sharp side away from you) over each olive & briskly hitting down on the knife with your hand. Olive will break open & pit will be easy to remove.

(Can substitute 1# Broccoli Rabe for Kale, in which case add 4 large cloves sliced, sautéed garlic, omit chicken broth, & sub grated Parmesan for Feta.)
Old 09-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #18
Master Chef

Another great one for Kale:

PORTUGUESE KALE & TURKEY SAUSAGE SOUP

One medium onion, peeled & chopped
One pound of kale, de-ribbed & roughly sliced/chopped
1-1/2 quarts or so of chicken stock (if not homemade, I usually use one carton + one can of Swanson's)
Two medium potatoes, peeled & diced -OR- two cans of cannelini/white kidney beans, rinsed **
One package (usually 12 to 16 ounces) turkey kielbasa sausage, sliced
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

In a large soup pot add enough olive oil to coat the bottom & saute onion until starting to soften, but not brown. Add sliced sausage & continue sauteeing until everything is just starting to brown a little. Add chicken stock & diced potatoes (if using) & simmer until potatoes are tender - about 15 minutes or so. Add kale & continue cooking until kale is tender. (** if using beans instead of potatoes, add chicken stock & bring to a simmer. Add kale & cook until tender; then add beans & stir gently until beans are just heated thru.) Add salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste & serve.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:40 PM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveb
Sautée some thinly sliced onion, and add a little hot red chili pepper. Add the chopped greens and sauté for a minute or two. Add some freshly grated coconut, a tsp of curry powder, and cook until the greens wilt.
Oh Clive! Will you please come visit New York and bring me some fresh coconuts??? That sounds so good!

I like to saute some onions and garlic until very soft, and then toss in some dandies and wilt them. I finish it off with a squirt or two of Minus 8 and some fresh ground pepper. It makes a great side, or you can top it with a poached egg and call it supper!

The chefs and cooks in Lyon, France use dandies to make a fabulous classic salad with eggs and bacon and croutons called Pissenlits. I have a recipe for that in my book....
Old 09-30-2006, 10:51 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Amber, you can sub with dandelion greens in this recipe or use the swiss chard, or any other type of chard that you see:

Braised Swiss Chard with Pancetta and Feta Cheese

Tags
None