"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-11-2004, 12:26 PM   #31
Hospitality Queen

Konditor -
Your Baked Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups sound perfect! I cannot wait to make them! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe! :D

Old 10-11-2004, 01:40 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Really have to say thanks everyone! Between the Cranberry Orange Relish, Pineapple Casserole, Creamy Dilled Carrots, Butternut Cream Pie and the Baked Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups (which not only sounds delicious, but will make a spectacular presentation!), I will be able to really give my family new wonderul things to try!!! Thank you so much for all your input!!!

Old 10-12-2004, 11:34 AM   #33
Senior Cook

On my table, I love creamed spinach and mashed Potatoes, mashed turnips.
My 9 year only cares for white rice and salad.
My husband wants BAKED sweet potatoes and salad.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:37 AM   #34
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I hope your family has a wonderful Thanksgiving WW & that they enjoy everything! :D
Old 10-16-2004, 07:35 AM   #35
Master Chef

I, too, have suffered from holiday meal traditions. Now, don't get me wrong, at Thanksgiving I do all the traditional stuff. But my family insisted on exactly the same meal at Christmas. EXACTLY. AND I might add, the meal contained "traditions" that I, as the eldest child, had never been in on. The green bean casserole and the marshmallow sweet potatoes were not on the agenda when I was a kid, but my family insisted they HAD to be on the menu. The cucumber/shrimp/mushroom salad we never did without when I was young, no one wanted. Oh, dear. Just because you're siblings doesn't mean you were raised in the same family!!!!
Old 10-16-2004, 12:48 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's another way to do the sweet potatoes

Orange-Pecan Sweet Potatoes

2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 t cinnamon
4 cups cooked, sliced sweet potatoes
1/3 cup orange juice
3 T brandy
pinch of salt (optional)
1/2 t ginger
1/4 t allspice

Combine 1/3 cup of brown sugar, pecans, 1/4 cup melted butter and cinnamon. Mix and set aside for final layer.

Combine remaining ingedients and layer potatoes in shallow, buttered casserole dish. Top with set-aside mixture.

Bake covered at 350 for 30 minutes. If you prefer a crunchy topping, remove cover for the last few minutes of baking time.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:10 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Haitian Sweet Potato Pudding:

6 cups grated sweet potatoes
3 sliced ripe bananas
1 cup coconut milk
4 cups half and half
9 eggs lightly beaten
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup raisins
1 tsp group cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tbs vanilla

Oven 350
Mix all and pour into a 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake for 30 min till potatoes are cooked through. 10 to 12 servings.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:32 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteraznchefjr
Cream upon creamed spinach lol thats wut i call it. It has a spicy kick to it.
May I please have your recipe for this?
Old 11-22-2004, 01:53 PM   #39
Master Chef

I like brussels sprouts, and a good hint is just to boil 'til they're as firm or mushy as you like, then at a good spoon full of orange juice concentrate to the butter, and maybe a grind of nutmeg. The OJ plays well with the slight bitter tang of the sprouts.

Most of my life I've been far away from family on Thanksgiving, so had my own traditions. Then I lived near my family for a few years and learned how hide-bound people can be when it comes to holiday dinners. One year I was determined to have a goose rather than turkey for Christmas, and you'd swear I'd started a revolution. Christmas was always an exact duplicate of Thanksgiving. Easter and New Years day were pretty much the same (ham), and when I tried to introduced my husband's family Easter tradition (lamb), once again it just didn't wash (and they all like lamb, I might add). I now no longer live near my family, and at holidays I simply say, "this (XXXXX) is what I am making, and feel free to bring whatever is YOUR family tradition." If we wind up with one bowl of my sage stuffing, one of cornbread dressing, one of sausage dressing, and no squash or sweet potatoes, so be it. Everyone has their favorite!
Old 11-22-2004, 03:57 PM   #40
Head Chef

Clair, you're such a storyteller! And I just love it when people put their foot down! (I've enjoyed doing it myself a few times@ :twisted: ) Shaking folks up a bit is also entertaining!

LOL at this one!!

Tags
None