Vegetable sides for Thanksgiving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wasabi woman

Senior Cook
I am not allowed to vary our Thanksgiving menu very much, the family won't stand for it! :roll:

The only part of the meal I can introduce anything new are vegetables!
Last year we had...

Creamy Corn Casserole
Prep Time: approx. 5 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 45 Minutes.
Makes 8 servings.

1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 (8.5 ounce) package dry corn bread mix
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (14.75 ounce) can creamed corn
1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and lightly grease a 9x9 baking dish.
In a medium bowl, combine butter, eggs, corn bread mix, whole and creamed corn and sour cream. Spoon mixture into prepared dish.
Bake for 45 mins in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden bown.
(The ingredients can be doubled and baked in a 9x13 baking dish in almost the same amount of cooking time)

It was a hit! Anyhow, now I'm looking for something new for this year.
Will you share your family's favorite vegetable side dish?

Thanks!

not boring mudbug, traditional! and yes, we too have the green bean casserole and some kind of sweet potato dish!

Traditional certainly has a better ring, doesn't it? I guess I did make one different thing last year that got gobbled up, but it wasn't a veg.

Cranberry Orange Relish

1 pkg fresh cranberries (12 oz)
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 cups boiling water
2 small or 1 large package cranberry or other red Jello mix
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1-1/2 cups cold water
1 can mandarin oranges, drained
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts

Chop cranberries finely in food processor, mix with sugar, set aside.
Add cinnamon and make the Jello using the water amounts. Refrigerate until thickened - about 90 minutes - then stir in cranberries, oranges, and nuts. Spoon into a 6-cup mold, cover, and back in the fridge for at least four hours.

Unmold for 12 servings.

mudbug said:
we're boring - green bean casserole and sweet taters

NOT! I may be allowed free reign in my home to experiment with anything in cooking and everyone feigns delight to be a guinea pig, but the one tacit understanding I have with my husband is that there will ALWAYS be green bean casserole with french-fried onions on the Thanksgiving table!

Fortunately, it is also one of the few things I haven't botched from time to time....

I don't think Americans are allowed to celebrate Thanksgiving without The Casserole. You know those neighbors who come over for "dessert?" They are really the Secret Food Police, checking up to verify that those are stray bits of mushroom, green been bits, and french fried onion crumbs in the casserole dish.

Ohmygosh! I never thought about that!

14.gif

crewsk said:
I also make a greenbean casserole(minus the french fried onions-hubby hates them). We also have pineapple casserole.

Don't know how I missed this one, crewsk. Your hubby is a barbarian. Tell me about the pineapple casserole. We always have ham at Christmas for my MIL and anything pineapple always goes good w/ham.

Yeah I think he's a barbarian too. But I still love him!

Pineapple Casserole
1(16oz)can pineapple chunks
1/2C. sugar
3Tbsp. flour
1C. grated cheddar cheese
1 stick butter or margarine, melted
Ritz cracker crumbs(I use 1 tube of Ritz for this size)

Spread pineapple with juice in casserole dish(2 quart I think). Mix sugar & flour & sprinkle on top of pineapple. Cover with grated cheese. Top with Ritz crumbs. Pour melted butter evenly over Ritz. Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes until top is brown & bubbly.

I usually get everything ready the night before & assemble right before cooking.

of course you still love him. sometimes barbarians are the most fun....

thanks for the casserole recipe. I'm making this at Christmas!

Here's the dish I make for my sister every thanksgiving. She can't have meat (not her choice, sadly) so she loves veggie dishes.
I absolutely adore it - it is a great addition to any Turkey dinner!

Creamy Dilled Carrots

4 c. thinly sliced carrots
3/4 c. water
2 Tbsp. butter (no margarine!)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 Tbsp. flour (wondra works really good)
1/2 c. light cream
2 Tbsp. fresh dill, minced

In a saucepan, combine carrots, water, butter, salt, sugar & pepper. Cover & simmer until carrots are crisp-tender. about 10 minutes. Drain liquid into a small saucepan; set the carrots aside & keep warm. Bring liquid to a boil. In a small bowl, combine flour & cream until smooth; slowly add to liquid, stirring constantly. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over the carrots; stir in dill. Cover & let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8 (although around here it only serves 4)

Thanks jkath! Sounds perfect! I used to make some "dilly carrots" a long time ago for appetizers - think I got the recipe off a spice islands Beau Monde jar; and loved them.
This sounds like a great extension of that idea!

Thanks alot!

Well keep the things they won't let you change and add new stuff. Then they may let you change it up a bit.

We don't do Thanksgiving in England, which is a shame, it seems like a lovely holiday. I love all the traditions...........coming from Australia, we don't have the same rich cookery traditions, ours are all borrowed from our English cousins.

One weird veggie tradition in England is brussel sprouts for Christmas. We HAVE to have them, and I dislike then, but I always eat them up, YUCK!

Back
Top Bottom