Vegetarian challenge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Next idea:
How about a vegetable version of shepards pie complete with the whipped potato topping? A google search for vegetarian shepards pie reveals many versions out there.

Maybe a potato/mushroom croquette?

Homemade gnocchi with a raw sauce?

Just curious: What did you do last year? Why do you have these particular restrictions? Is this an actual contest?

Anything, anything you can come up with is good, but probably more on the side dish, vegetarian soups are pretty easy and plenty of recipes around for them. Thank you.

Another vote for roasted vegetables, and since you can't use oil, maybe you can toss them in a little chicken broth. Lots of choices for vegetables that can be peeled, and they make a very colorful dish: carrots, red onions, red and yellow bell peppers, garlic, beets, etc.

Just curious: What did you do last year? Why do you have these particular restrictions? Is this an actual contest?

There is no contest. The Passover is coming. During that time the common prohibition against leavened bread in reality is much more. There is no end to how strict people get. This is what we do during that time. We only use home made products. The only thing that is not homemade is wine (and there are some people that do make their own wine) Grape juice, actually I do make my own grape juice and salt. That is it. If it is fish, for example I buy whole fish with head and scales and clean it myself. If it is vegetables or fruits they must have skin so they can be peeled. No spices are used in my house, no garlic, even though garlic can be peeled but there is a tradition of not to use it, in my family. I can go on. But those are the general rules that we fallow.

As far as last year, we had some kugels, you know grated veggies, some salt, some chicken fat that I render myself, eggs baked in the oven. The mash potato is very popular during that time. But how much mash potato can one have during 8 days period. Fruit salads, homemade apple sauce. That is about it.

well.... first I would make a veggie brooth, that's something you could always use

If potatoes are allowed, there are lost of things to combine with that... maybe some sort of potatoe gulash..

I understand my mistake now, I should have posted this tread in "I only have these ingradients" forum, with a list of fruits and vegetables.

Charlie: That's really cool... I love the idea of cooking with restrictions but have a feeling I would find myself quite challenged over an 8 day period with these restrictions.

Another suggestion would be stuffed peppers (any vegetable you can hollow out such eggplant or squash). You could do a little variation on the theme using completely raw, cooked, and combinations thereof. If you have access to a dehydrator, you can make dried thin slices of vegetables or fruits, which can then be used to stand in for wraps...

Depending on just how creative you want to get, less tasty vegetables can be dried to a crisp with a low setting in the oven and then put in the food processor to produce a flour which then could be combined with egg to make crepes with. The crepes might taste okay, but would lack baking soda and be unleavened.

Well, ready or not the time for coocing is coming up pretty fast. I will let you know what I made in the end.

really small baby carrots, butter, sugar (white or brown), salt, white pepper.....steam or cook in a small amount of water for about 4-6 minutes depending on thickness and add some orange juice and butter/margarine at the end....your kids will more than likely eat them up......Dennis the Menace might actually have given them a try:):)

how about some spinach pies - i chop up frozen spinach add some cream sauce, grated cheese and wrap up in filo dough. my greek friends make a version of this, i guess its a very popular greek dish.

I think there is nothing like filo dough...

I think I just make a pile of the veggies allowed and pick see what might be possible...

Question

Can fresh herbs be used as they are essentially veggie.

If so, something like a stuffed pepper with bulghar, fresh tomatoes, chopped onion, salt and pepper, and chopped parsley and basil. Stuff it into the peppers and bake with a bit of broth or simply some water to keep it from burning.

~Kathleen

Sounds like a good time for a mixed fruit, vegetable grill!

Zucchini, potatoes, leeks, peaches, pineapple, potatoes, asparagus, carrots, etc.

Get the grill fairly hot.. brush the veggies with olive oil(if allowed, if not regular oil).

Place on the grill and cook. Start the carrots and potatoes before everything else they take the longest to cook. While cooking lightly season with salt, pepper.

TASTY!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom