"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Vegetarian Easter Recipes Wanted

It's that time of year where I need to bring a dish to participate in this eating holiday or just sit and watch others eat. It is mandatory attendance on my side of the family; The maternal figure makes a big deal about preparing the ham (for my sister, sister's kids, dad, dh), roast beef (it is all my BIL eats), and lamb (for herself); She also insists on preparing the vegetable dishes, macaroni and cheese; antipasta salad topped with all the deli meats and provolone; etc.

I would love to prepare a creative dish vegetarian dish to bring that is Easterish, but I am don't have a clue. It must be ready to serve as she has no room for me to heat anything up;

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
If provolones are out, that means you are a vegan? Which makes your question a bit more difficult to answer to.... I could suggest some wonderful dishes with eggs and cheeses (presence of eggs will make the dish really "Eastery"...), but let's wait for some other vegan experts to come to your rescue...

Old 03-22-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Soft Cow's milk cheese is out; Really hard cheese, sheep and goats milk are ok. For some reason, milk and soft cheese makes me very sick. But the other cheeses do not. Initially MD said it was a lactose intolerance issue, but I am not sure.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
Head Chef

Pardon my ignorance - But what do you mean when you say a vegetarian dish that is easterish. To be easterish does it need to have a specific origin - American, European etc.

There are numerous vegan recipes that can be eaten at room temperature as a main dish but that's in my cuisine (Indian) or also in other Asian cusines.

Can you not make something with potatoes and spice and spruce it up with more exotic spices (if you can I can post my recipe). It can work well at room temperature and would go well as a side to your lamb and ham.

There are also bean salads - I have a great chickpea one that is totally vegan does that classify as easterish.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:04 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
So eggs are okay, and do you like them? And if you are sure about the above listed cheeses, I would suggest a quiche with ricotta di pecora (ricotta made with sheep milk, which is actually better than cow milk ricotta!) if available, parmigiano or grana padano (which are very hard cheeses) and spinach or broccoli. Very hearty and tasty, you can even decorate the surface like cakes!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Here is my favorite side dish for my traditional Easter dinner of Brandied Rabbit in Mustard Sauce:

Honey Dijon Glazed Baby Carrots

3 tbsp. honey
3 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 20-ounce package baby carrots

Sauté baby carrots in a neutral oil (peanut, canola, grapeseed, etc.) until crisp-tender and set aside. Drain oil from sauté pan , then add honey and mustard and heat until bubbly. Return carrots to honey mixture, coat evenly with the sauce and heat for one minute.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
So eggs are okay, and do you like them? And if you are sure about the above listed cheeses, I would suggest a quiche with ricotta di pecora (ricotta made with sheep milk, which is actually better than cow milk ricotta!) if available, parmigiano or grana padano (which are very hard cheeses) and spinach or broccoli. Very hearty and tasty, you can even decorate the surface like cakes!
Quiche was a thought. I did not know ricotta came in sheeps milk form; Thanks for that info!
Old 03-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
Pardon my ignorance - But what do you mean when you say a vegetarian dish that is easterish. To be easterish does it need to have a specific origin - American, European etc.

There are numerous vegan recipes that can be eaten at room temperature as a main dish but that's in my cuisine (Indian) or also in other Asian cusines.

Can you not make something with potatoes and spice and spruce it up with more exotic spices (if you can I can post my recipe). It can work well at room temperature and would go well as a side to your lamb and ham.

There are also bean salads - I have a great chickpea one that is totally vegan does that classify as easterish.
Sorry for not specifying, Easter is a Christian holiday that my family observes just for the sake of observing. My inlaws usually serve ham, sweet potatoes, salad, etc.

My mandatory dinner comprises of meats mentioned above; I would love if you shared your potato recipes. I am not very good at Asian cusines (stir fry is my extent); I wouldn't even know how to attempt an Indian dish. I am the ignorant one.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Chocolate! :)))))

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We serve both of these for Easter every year.
Greek Zucchini!!

zucchini
olive oil
green peppers
sliced black olives
onions
pasley, ground cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, dash sugar, garlic (amount up to you)
canned tomatoes or sauce and 1/3 cup water

Directions:
Saute onions, parsley,garlic in olive oil
add zucchini and green peppers,olives, and ground cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and sugar
stir for a few minutes and then add tomatoes and water if needed

cover and cook over low heat until soft

Greek Beans and tomatoes

1 can green beans ( drained, I use home canned ones but you can use the store bought)

1 can tomatoes ( undrained, I use the home canned ones here too)
onions
garlic
olive oil
Salt, pepper, oregano and parsley

Sauté diced onion and garlic in a few tablespoons of olive oil until soft
add beans and tomatoes. Mix well. Add salt and pepper. Add spices either fresh or dried may be used.
Cook until liquid is almost gone.

Tags
None