"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

You can buy little filo dough cups (about 1.5" in diameter) that are partially baked and frozen. You can fill the with a variety of items. Sauteed mushrooms and onion with or with out grated parm on top. You can also bake them empty and put a cold filling in it like salsa or a dip.

Veggie roll-ups sliced into pinwheels.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
Half Baked

Grilled eggplant slices rolled with goat cheese/riccota inside.

Endive spears filled with chickpea curry.

cut small rounds of puff pastry and top with different things

sweet potato "Lollipops" with a dip/glaze

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Wow.. ask for a couple ideas and the well overflows.

Thanks to everyone. I have about a week so I can keep thinking, looking at the ideas, and mayhaps even try a few.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
Everymom

Buy veggie burgers, thaw them and then roll them as "meatballs" in whatever sauce you had going.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
Master Chef

You could always go simple.....Deviled Eggs always go over in a big way.

I read an idea the other day about adding chopped smoked salmon to the yolk mix....sounds delicious to me.

PS..too bad Kathleen doesn't have any really fresh eggs from her own chickens. MuhhhHaaHaa

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Chocolate dipped strawberries - a giant plate. Stack em high!

Deviled eggs with tasty decorations (capers, sundried tomatoes slivers, etc)

Nut balls (take yer mind out of the gutter) chopped walnuts, pecans, dates and coconut mixed with creamcheese, rolled in toasted sesame seeds. These would be good in conjunction with berries above.

Spanikopita

Avoid fake meat products. They are salty and vegetarians see them served over and over and over again...
Old 01-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #17
Certified Cake Maniac

Wow, everyone has wonderful ideas! I might take some of them for when I need an extra vegetarian item!

I totally agree with Janet on the strawberries! Also on the fake meat products. When I do veggie dishes for showers, weddings, etc. I find that the people eating them are really happy to get something fresh and different. I am not saying the products are bad, I eat them myself.

If it is vegan, I have a great recipe for sweet potatoe & quinoa cookies. DH loves them because they are gluten free, but they are also vegan. They aren't sweet or savory. Just a nice little bite.

I have also a mango salsa that I put into hollowed out cucumber cups. Easy and refreshing.

Still I think my vote is on the strawberries. I don't think ANYONE would ever turn those down and they don't have to be all fancy. A simple dip will do!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #18
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Buy veggie burgers, thaw them and then roll them as "meatballs" in whatever sauce you had going.
Oh! Oh! OH OH OH!!!!! MR KOTTER MR KOTTER!!!!!! .....what if you used a veggie burger recipe and made them into meatballs and baked them?

veggie burgers - Google Search
Old 01-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #19
Master Chef

I tried to read it all so I don't reproduce, but the times I've had to "do" vegan, my hummus or baba ganouch were big hits. I make my own pita chips so they hold up to it. But for ease, short veggie and fruit kabobs. If you can grill the former at home, they'll be fine at room temperature. The fruit can as well, with a drizzle of honey.

If you aren't doing strictly finger food, couscous and taboule both make good, easy to make salads. Add raisins, nuts, herbs, even a can of drained beans to make it a well-rounded meal.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
... Now I am told the bride? is vegetarian... so...

Just an observation, Frank. The bride is a vegetarian. That leaves 29-39 people who probably are not. Unless your appys are going to be the only ones there, do they need to be vegetarian?

Tags
food, recipe, vegetarian

Vegetarian Shower Food. Ok, so someone has some sort of shower to attend and needs to bring something. When she mentioned it I thought of doing those wonderful southern meatball things. Now I am told the bride? is vegetarian... so... I am looking for some ideas on what to make. Here are my limitations: [LIST] [*]30-40 people. [*]There is an oven available but it might be used by someone else. [*]I need to be able to send it in the morning, and the shower is around 2:30. Refrigeration shouldn't be an issue. [*]I can send a crockpot ready to plug in and cook (though we have about a 6 hour window for that. [*]It can't be anything that needs site preparation. [*]It has to be vegetarian, I do not think pescatarian will cut it. [*]Think finger/napkin/toothpick type food. [/LIST] Ok.. I am all [S]ears[/S] eyes. 3 stars 1 reviews