"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Still I think my vote is on the strawberries. I don't think ANYONE would ever turn those down and they don't have to be all fancy. A simple dip will do!
Speaking of a simple dip for strawberries, I don't think I've ever had a better one, than equal parts of Marshmallow Cream, sometimes called Marshmallow Fluff (from the jar) and whipped cream cheese from the dairy case. The combo is perfect for dipping fruit.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #22
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Here is Lauries ganache recipe which is so easy even I was able to do it.

1 1/2 cups 60% bittersweet (or semisweet) chocolate, chopped or bits
1 cup heavy (whipping) cream

Place chocolate in a heat resistant bowl. On low heat bring the cream so a low simmer and take off heat immediately before it scalds. Pour the cream over the chocolate and leave for about 5 seconds. Start to gently stir cream into the chocolate with a wooden spoon until it is all melted and smooth.

Cool to room temp (this takes a few mins)

Dip berries and place on wax paper. Refrigerate to set. You could pack each berrie in a small paper cup (like the ones they use for candies) which you can get at cake/bakery supply shop if you want to make them party friendly.

Here are some I did a while back (cooling on wax paper)

Click image for larger version

Name:	leftovers.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	9748

Old 01-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #23
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Just an observation, Frank. The bride is a vegetarian. That leaves 29-39 people who probably are not. Unless your appys are going to be the only ones there, do they need to be vegetarian?

I don't think it does... someone else seems to think it does though.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:27 AM   #24
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Janet for sharing that. And don't sell yourself short! That flourless chocolate cake you made looked amazing! Some people think ganache is really difficult but it isn't and you can do so many wonderful things with it. Your berries look great.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Cheese Burek, Cheese and Chard Burek, Cheese and Potato Burek, Samosa's Bhaji's and more Burek
Bolas De Fraile: Thanks for the Burek suggestion. I haven't made it in years, and I am hosting our "Bunch for Brunch" in March and was wondering what to make! Mine won't be vegetarian, it will be one meat and one cheese. I use filo sheets. But what do you use for the cheese filling? It seems I used a mixture of cream cheese and feta, but here I can also get goat cheese. If you're inclined, go over to ethnic and post some burek recipes & methods!
Old 01-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
No bake vegetable pizza. Pita bread. Spread each with creamed, cream cheese, pimentos and a bit of garlic, black pepper and sea salt . Top with thinly sliced veggies like: red onion, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, olives, tomatoes, green peppers. Whatever looks good, even bok choy, bean sprouts and water chestnuts. Cut in quarters, serve. 20 pitas should give each person 2 pieces.

Not sure on amounts...
I was going to suggest this very thing. Well, you know what they say about great minds...!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #27
Master Chef

Joes, that reminds me of another. Assuming not a vegan thing, buy a roll of crescent rolls from the dairy section (there are other options, this is just how I learned it). Unroll them on a baking sheet, and sort of pinch the bits together. Bake. Then, when cooled, spread with whipped cream cheese and top with sliced fruit. You can do pretty presentations of all sorts, for example for a 4th of July, a flag, Initials. Let your imagination run wild. My friends aren't real sweets lovers, but if yours are, make a glaze or take some honey and drizzle it over all.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I'm not going to lie, when I saw the title "vegetarian shower food" I thought of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer makes the salad in the shower.

Beside that I would just make a great dip with some fresh veggies.

//www.lowcarbgrub.com
megamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #29
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I am not going to participate if I end up limited to vegan.
Well, I can give you two fantastic vegan dishes that you'd be proud to serve, Frank. I've served them twice for showers, and the meat eaters in the crowd were more than satisfied.

One is a Brown Rice, Garbanzo and Artichoke Salad. the other is a thai Pasta Salad. Nice and spicy. and at one of the showers, I served chicken poached in soy sauce and lemon grass on the side for those who just had to have meat. Let me know if you want the recipes. I hope I'm not too late.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #30
Master Chef

Site Administrator

It isn't about pride... as a life long and dedicated meatatarian there is only so far I will go.

Tags
food, recipe, vegetarian

Vegetarian Shower Food. Ok, so someone has some sort of shower to attend and needs to bring something. When she mentioned it I thought of doing those wonderful southern meatball things. Now I am told the bride? is vegetarian... so... I am looking for some ideas on what to make. Here are my limitations: [LIST] [*]30-40 people. [*]There is an oven available but it might be used by someone else. [*]I need to be able to send it in the morning, and the shower is around 2:30. Refrigeration shouldn't be an issue. [*]I can send a crockpot ready to plug in and cook (though we have about a 6 hour window for that. [*]It can't be anything that needs site preparation. [*]It has to be vegetarian, I do not think pescatarian will cut it. [*]Think finger/napkin/toothpick type food. [/LIST] Ok.. I am all [S]ears[/S] eyes. 3 stars 1 reviews