"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I read every comment and I didn't see a single negative one. Everyone is being very positive and helpful, and the ideas are all great! I think frank is just trying to come up with something different so that he won't bring the same thing as ten other people. Meat eaters don't have as much experience making meatless meals, so we don't have as many options in our recipe boxes to pick from
Reading the topic, I flashed on the Seinfeld TV episode where Kramer discovers the joy of preparing a salad while standing naked in the shower with a collender. He liked it so much he had plumber install a garbage disposer at the shower drain.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #42
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk
I have a friend who calls herself a choiceitarian. She struggles to eat meat, not because of any philisophical reason but her body just works that way, sometimes she can and will est meat. Other times she can't handle it. It can be a real challenge to find stuff that she can eat since it is different every day. But I love her so I'm up for it.
I'm also a choiceitarian, but for me it means, "Whatever you choose to eat is fine with me." Wish more people had that philosophy :)

Old 01-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #43
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Reading the topic, I flashed on the Seinfeld TV episode where Kramer discovers the joy of preparing a salad while standing naked in the shower with a collender. He liked it so much he had plumber install a garbage disposer at the shower drain.

Sounds like a good way to cut a toe off to me

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #44
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I have a friend who calls herself a choiceitarian. She struggles to eat meat, not because of any philisophical reason but her body just works that way, sometimes she can and will est meat. Other times she can't handle it. It can be a real challenge to find stuff that she can eat since it is different every day. But I love her so I'm up for it.
Thanks, Joesfolk! This is exactly what I am. I was a vegetarian for almost 9 years but became anemic and was told I must include some red meat protein in my diet. My husband has a whole list of food intolerances and my Dad is a diabetic and must have soft or ground up foods due to a swallowing problem that has serious ramifications. So, cooking here is not easy at the best of times. Dad is also a very picky eater so many of the meatless dishes I would make for DH and I would not go over with him. But I do make meatless pastas, have gotten him into risotto, etc. I choose to try to stay within my lifestyle choice (vegetarian), my health needs (red meat) and family needs.

From now on I am a choicetarian!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #45
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Thank you everyone for the suggestions (and the running commentary on choicetarianism).

After having a long talk about it last night Kathleen decided she wants to take hard cooked eggs. I was incorrect, this is a baby shower (I don't know yet if the baby will continue to be vegetarian or not) and since it will be a boy she is going to dye the eggs blue.

So no using Lucille, Red Betty or the Hattori... drat...
Old 01-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #46
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

How about some thai veggi rolls filled with cellophane noodles, fresh shredded veggies and a nice dipping sauce or 2. Maybe one soy based and the other peanut based. For a party, place spoons in dipping sauce bowls to discourage double dippers (another Seinfeld topic). These are vegan AND delicious and served cold (easy to take to work).

Rice wrappers (soak on hot water for 15 mins to soften for wrapping)

filling:

1/2 head of napa cabbage shredded
5 green onions, diced
1 1/2 cup pre-cooked or softened noodles (bean thread noodles)
1/4 cup fresh herbs (use cilantro, basil or maybe even some mint, your choice)
1/4 cup carrots, grated or julienned
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated

You could also add bean sprouts (cut down on the cabbage) or other veggies.

-------------
Healthy, filling and looks like real food (which is often missing at these kinds of events). If you need to serve meat you could a some nice pieces of cold crab or cooked shrimp to some of these.

Serving suggestion:

Old 01-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #47
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Janet,

Those might be too fancy looking.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #48
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Janet,

Those might be too fancy looking.
When you pack em on a disposable paper plate they will look less fancy - I promise.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #49
Head Chef

Choice-a-tarian, good idea.

I've heard:
Flex-a-terian
Vege-tarian
Meat-a-tarian
Chocolate-a-tarian
Chix-o-fish-a-tarian
Steak-a-tarian

I'm all of the above.

When I saw this post, I was at first thinking of what could be eaten in the shower too. I thought most fruits and vegetables (in the raw, err, I mean raw) would be best so the shampoo and conditioner would rinse right off.

My favorite shower food would be small appetizer portions of most anything. I like to try lots of new things. Hummus on crackers or veggie slices, dip to dollop on top of 'things'-crackers, veggies, fruit, mini sandwich items, a potato skin crisped up and filled with sauted or roasted veggies (w/cheese?), marinated baked tofu on a tooth pick, salad in a cup (fruit or veggie), veggie meatballs in a sauce, well, anything small so there are lots of choices.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #50
Cook

Tons of great ideas from everyone! Everything in the vegetarian world seems so healthy too. While I'm not a vegetarian myself, here's my contribution! :]

Semi-Homemade Fruit Wands
Deliciously easy, and a pleasing treat for crowds and kids. A hit with guests, and anyone that loves fruit, sweets, and healthy eats!
Ingredients
1 cantaloupe, peeled
2 cups vanilla yogurt (Dannon if available)
2 Tbsp honey
1 2-lb container pre-cut, mixed fruit cubes (pineapple, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon)
16 whole strawberries

Directions
1. Cut the peeled cantaloupe in half, removing all seeds with a spoon. On one half, slice off a bit of the bottom so it sits flat like a bowl. Place on a plate, and other melon half upside-down next to it on same plate.

2. In a bowl, mix together yogurt and honey. Pour into the cantaloupe bowl.
3. To make wands, slide fruit cubes onto skewers, leaving 1 inch at both ends of each skewer. Arrange fruit in same order on each. (Follow picture for visual preference.)

4. Stick pointed end into the upside-down cantaloupe half on an angle, and top skewer with strawberry. Repeat along edges of cantaloupe until complete!

Notes:
Yields 8 servings.

From Sandra Lee - Semi Homemade.

Tags
food, recipe, vegetarian

Vegetarian Shower Food. Ok, so someone has some sort of shower to attend and needs to bring something. When she mentioned it I thought of doing those wonderful southern meatball things. Now I am told the bride? is vegetarian... so... I am looking for some ideas on what to make. Here are my limitations: [LIST] [*]30-40 people. [*]There is an oven available but it might be used by someone else. [*]I need to be able to send it in the morning, and the shower is around 2:30. Refrigeration shouldn't be an issue. [*]I can send a crockpot ready to plug in and cook (though we have about a 6 hour window for that. [*]It can't be anything that needs site preparation. [*]It has to be vegetarian, I do not think pescatarian will cut it. [*]Think finger/napkin/toothpick type food. [/LIST] Ok.. I am all [S]ears[/S] eyes. 3 stars 1 reviews