"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-21-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Vegetarian Shower Food.

Ok, so someone has some sort of shower to attend and needs to bring something. When she mentioned it I thought of doing those wonderful southern meatball things. Now I am told the bride? is vegetarian... so...

I am looking for some ideas on what to make.

Here are my limitations:
  • 30-40 people.
  • There is an oven available but it might be used by someone else.
  • I need to be able to send it in the morning, and the shower is around 2:30. Refrigeration shouldn't be an issue.
  • I can send a crockpot ready to plug in and cook (though we have about a 6 hour window for that.
  • It can't be anything that needs site preparation.
  • It has to be vegetarian, I do not think pescatarian will cut it.
  • Think finger/napkin/toothpick type food.
Ok.. I am all ears eyes.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Is it vegan or can there be ingredients like cheese?

Barbara

Old 01-21-2011, 02:30 AM   #3
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I am not going to participate if I end up limited to vegan.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:36 AM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

LOL I am on the Daniel Fast (halfway through, woohoo!) and it is described as vegan, but more restrictive. It has definitely been an experience. I am looking forward to eating a cow, I mean a steak, when I am done.

My brain is ready for me to go to bed, so at the moment all I can think of are jalapeņo poppers and breaded and fried cheese bites. A vegetable/fruit tray is always popular.

Barbara
Old 01-21-2011, 03:21 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Cheese Burek, Cheese and Chard Burek, Cheese and Potato Burek, Samosa's Bhaji's and more Burek
Old 01-21-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
Head Chef

These are great, and can be served warm or at room temperature:
SPINACH STUFFED MUSHROOMS
Olive Oyl's Treat For Popeye Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms) Recipe - Food.com - 11644

Here are a few to check out from my to-try list:

BAKED VEGETABLE EGG ROLLS
For the Love of Cooking: Baked Vegetable Egg Rolls

TRIO OF SPANISH NIBBLES: OLIVES, ALMONDS AND CHICKPEAS
Trio Of Spanish Nibbles: Olives, Almonds & Chickpeas Recipe - Food.com - 343192

STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE BITES (I posted this for a few people and they loved it):
CSC - California Strawberry Commission

STUFFED FIGS DRIZZLED WITH CHOCOLATE
Stuffed Figs Drizzled With Chocolate Recipe - Food.com - 68911
Old 01-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #7
Master Chef

Site Moderator

How about Falafel?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Stuffed little button(or other kind) mushrooms with jalaps and cheese?

Tomato and cucumber little sammies w/a spicy mayo?

Deep fry some mac and cheese balls?

Potato & cheese cakes w/sour cream and chives on top?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
Head Chef

Given a ton of my friends are vegetarians I am always trying to find something interesting to make. Also being Indian, it's extremely common to have a big collection of vegetarian recipes:

Here are some ideas and they are easy and can be made ahead. I actually have made a few for a shower as well:

- Puff Pastry Triangles - I normally make a filling - boiled potatoes, grated carrots, peas, spices (brown mustard, cumin, corrainder), lots of fresh cilantro cook all this and then fill and bake
- Sandwiches - Not your traditional cucumber ones, something a bit different. I like to make one that has a cilantro and mint sauce (just equal parts with lime juice, garlic, green chilis and grinded to a sauce). You use that as a spread on pepperidge farm bread and then layer it with thinly sliced boiled potatoes, tomatoes and cucumber. I put a masala chili ketchup (available in Indian stores) on the other side and it is amazingly delish
- Mini Wontons or Eggrolls - Taste just fine at room temperature - Fill with any veggie of your choice, fry and let it cool uncovered and then pack and take where you need to
- Aloo Tikkis - Boil and Mash Potatoes and stir in some drained and finely chopped spinach, lime juice, cilantro, cumin powder, red chili powder. Mix it all and then make it into small patties that you pan fry. Tastes really good
- Wraps that can be cut in half and served - You can make thai style with cabbage, green onions, carrots or mexican style with black beans or vegetarian refried beans and other seasonings of your choice.
- Whole food has vegetarian meatballs that taste amazing. I have had them before and it's a great party addition
- I have many many more things but not everything is a finger food and some of it needs some more assembly
Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

No bake vegetable pizza. Pita bread. Spread each with creamed, cream cheese, pimentos and a bit of garlic, black pepper and sea salt . Top with thinly sliced veggies like: red onion, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, olives, tomatoes, green peppers. Whatever looks good, even bok choy, bean sprouts and water chestnuts. Cut in quarters, serve. 20 pitas should give each person 2 pieces.

Not sure on amounts...

Tags
food, recipe, vegetarian

Vegetarian Shower Food. Ok, so someone has some sort of shower to attend and needs to bring something. When she mentioned it I thought of doing those wonderful southern meatball things. Now I am told the bride? is vegetarian... so... I am looking for some ideas on what to make. Here are my limitations: [LIST] [*]30-40 people. [*]There is an oven available but it might be used by someone else. [*]I need to be able to send it in the morning, and the shower is around 2:30. Refrigeration shouldn't be an issue. [*]I can send a crockpot ready to plug in and cook (though we have about a 6 hour window for that. [*]It can't be anything that needs site preparation. [*]It has to be vegetarian, I do not think pescatarian will cut it. [*]Think finger/napkin/toothpick type food. [/LIST] Ok.. I am all [S]ears[/S] eyes. 3 stars 1 reviews