Vegetarian Shower Food.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
Ok, so someone has some sort of shower to attend and needs to bring something. When she mentioned it I thought of doing those wonderful southern meatball things. Now I am told the bride? is vegetarian... so...

I am looking for some ideas on what to make.

Here are my limitations:

• 30-40 people.
  • There is an oven available but it might be used by someone else.
  • I need to be able to send it in the morning, and the shower is around 2:30. Refrigeration shouldn't be an issue.
  • I can send a crockpot ready to plug in and cook (though we have about a 6 hour window for that.
  • It can't be anything that needs site preparation.
  • It has to be vegetarian, I do not think pescatarian will cut it.
  • Think finger/napkin/toothpick type food.
Ok.. I am all ears eyes.

LOL I am on the Daniel Fast (halfway through, woohoo!) and it is described as vegan, but more restrictive. It has definitely been an experience. I am looking forward to eating a cow, I mean a steak, when I am done.

My brain is ready for me to go to bed, so at the moment all I can think of are jalapeño poppers and breaded and fried cheese bites. A vegetable/fruit tray is always popular.

:)Barbara

Cheese Burek, Cheese and Chard Burek, Cheese and Potato Burek, Samosa's Bhaji's and more Burek

These are great, and can be served warm or at room temperature:
SPINACH STUFFED MUSHROOMS
Olive Oyl's Treat For Popeye Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms) Recipe - Food.com - 11644

Here are a few to check out from my to-try list:

BAKED VEGETABLE EGG ROLLS
For the Love of Cooking: Baked Vegetable Egg Rolls

TRIO OF SPANISH NIBBLES: OLIVES, ALMONDS AND CHICKPEAS
Trio Of Spanish Nibbles: Olives, Almonds & Chickpeas Recipe - Food.com - 343192

STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE BITES (I posted this for a few people and they loved it):
CSC - California Strawberry Commission

STUFFED FIGS DRIZZLED WITH CHOCOLATE
Stuffed Figs Drizzled With Chocolate Recipe - Food.com - 68911

Stuffed little button(or other kind) mushrooms with jalaps and cheese?

Tomato and cucumber little sammies w/a spicy mayo?

Deep fry some mac and cheese balls?

Potato & cheese cakes w/sour cream and chives on top?

Given a ton of my friends are vegetarians I am always trying to find something interesting to make. Also being Indian, it's extremely common to have a big collection of vegetarian recipes:

Here are some ideas and they are easy and can be made ahead. I actually have made a few for a shower as well:

- Puff Pastry Triangles - I normally make a filling - boiled potatoes, grated carrots, peas, spices (brown mustard, cumin, corrainder), lots of fresh cilantro cook all this and then fill and bake
- Sandwiches - Not your traditional cucumber ones, something a bit different. I like to make one that has a cilantro and mint sauce (just equal parts with lime juice, garlic, green chilis and grinded to a sauce). You use that as a spread on pepperidge farm bread and then layer it with thinly sliced boiled potatoes, tomatoes and cucumber. I put a masala chili ketchup (available in Indian stores) on the other side and it is amazingly delish
- Mini Wontons or Eggrolls - Taste just fine at room temperature - Fill with any veggie of your choice, fry and let it cool uncovered and then pack and take where you need to
- Aloo Tikkis - Boil and Mash Potatoes and stir in some drained and finely chopped spinach, lime juice, cilantro, cumin powder, red chili powder. Mix it all and then make it into small patties that you pan fry. Tastes really good
- Wraps that can be cut in half and served - You can make thai style with cabbage, green onions, carrots or mexican style with black beans or vegetarian refried beans and other seasonings of your choice.
- Whole food has vegetarian meatballs that taste amazing. I have had them before and it's a great party addition
- I have many many more things but not everything is a finger food and some of it needs some more assembly

No bake vegetable pizza. Pita bread. Spread each with creamed, cream cheese, pimentos and a bit of garlic, black pepper and sea salt . Top with thinly sliced veggies like: red onion, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, olives, tomatoes, green peppers. Whatever looks good, even bok choy, bean sprouts and water chestnuts. Cut in quarters, serve. 20 pitas should give each person 2 pieces.

Not sure on amounts...

You can buy little filo dough cups (about 1.5" in diameter) that are partially baked and frozen. You can fill the with a variety of items. Sauteed mushrooms and onion with or with out grated parm on top. You can also bake them empty and put a cold filling in it like salsa or a dip.

Veggie roll-ups sliced into pinwheels.

Grilled eggplant slices rolled with goat cheese/riccota inside.

Endive spears filled with chickpea curry.

cut small rounds of puff pastry and top with different things

sweet potato "Lollipops" with a dip/glaze

Wow.. ask for a couple ideas and the well overflows.

Thanks to everyone. I have about a week so I can keep thinking, looking at the ideas, and mayhaps even try a few.

Buy veggie burgers, thaw them and then roll them as "meatballs" in whatever sauce you had going.

You could always go simple.....Deviled Eggs always go over in a big way.

I read an idea the other day about adding chopped smoked salmon to the yolk mix....sounds delicious to me.

PS..too bad Kathleen doesn't have any really fresh eggs from her own chickens. MuhhhHaaHaa
:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Chocolate dipped strawberries - a giant plate. Stack em high!

Deviled eggs with tasty decorations (capers, sundried tomatoes slivers, etc)

Nut balls (take yer mind out of the gutter) chopped walnuts, pecans, dates and coconut mixed with creamcheese, rolled in toasted sesame seeds. These would be good in conjunction with berries above.

Spanikopita

Avoid fake meat products. They are salty and vegetarians see them served over and over and over again...

Wow, everyone has wonderful ideas! I might take some of them for when I need an extra vegetarian item!

I totally agree with Janet on the strawberries! Also on the fake meat products. When I do veggie dishes for showers, weddings, etc. I find that the people eating them are really happy to get something fresh and different. I am not saying the products are bad, I eat them myself.

If it is vegan, I have a great recipe for sweet potatoe & quinoa cookies. DH loves them because they are gluten free, but they are also vegan. They aren't sweet or savory. Just a nice little bite.

I have also a mango salsa that I put into hollowed out cucumber cups. Easy and refreshing.

Still I think my vote is on the strawberries. I don't think ANYONE would ever turn those down and they don't have to be all fancy. A simple dip will do!

I tried to read it all so I don't reproduce, but the times I've had to "do" vegan, my hummus or baba ganouch were big hits. I make my own pita chips so they hold up to it. But for ease, short veggie and fruit kabobs. If you can grill the former at home, they'll be fine at room temperature. The fruit can as well, with a drizzle of honey.

If you aren't doing strictly finger food, couscous and taboule both make good, easy to make salads. Add raisins, nuts, herbs, even a can of drained beans to make it a well-rounded meal.

... Now I am told the bride? is vegetarian... so...

Just an observation, Frank. The bride is a vegetarian. That leaves 29-39 people who probably are not. Unless your appys are going to be the only ones there, do they need to be vegetarian?

Back
Top Bottom