"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-03-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
Head Chef

Vegetarian Vegetable Pot Pie

Years ago, I had a recipe for a pretty good Veggie Pot Pie. Ive misplaced it since then, and was wondering if anyone has a good recipe that they have tried ( must be vegetarian, not necessarily vegan).

Thanks in advance,

larry

Old 05-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Hi Larry ~
The recipe at the website listed below is very good. You may dress it up with more garlic, herbs, etc. if you wish -- I did.

Vegetarian Pot Pie Recipe - The Veggie Table - Vegetarian Recipes and Info

Address:Vegetarian Pot Pie Recipe - The Veggie Table - Vegetarian Recipes and Info

Also, I've made the pot pie listed on the back of boxes of biscuit mix (minus the chicken). Here's what I do ~

Veggie Pot Pie
I like to use the whole wheat biscuit mix from Trader Joe's. It makes a tasty pie and doesn't have preservatives, etc.

2-3 cups of veggies, cut in small pieces (broccoli, zucchini, carrots, potatoes, peas, green beans, celery, peppers, etc.)
1 onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 can condensed cream of celery, mushroom, or cheddar cheese soup
1 cup of biscuit mix
1/2 cup milk
1 egg

In a large saute pan, cook the onion in a little olive oil or butter until it is translucent. Add the garlic and veggies. Cook just a few minutes -- veggies should still be crisp. Remove from heat and mix in soup. (At this point, you may add any herbs you like -- oregano, parsley, hot pepper flakes, etc.) Pour mixture into a 10" or larger ungreased pie plate or casserole. In a bowl, mix together biscuit mix, milk and egg. Pour over veggies in casserole. Bake in a 400F preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Makes about 6 servings NOTE: You may use a variety of frozen veggies, if you wish.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
Master Chef

I would start by sauteeing onions, celery, garlic and mushrooms in a small amount of vegetable oil. When they are cooked, add enough flour to make a roux, then stir and cook a little. Add vegetable broth and cook, stirring until thickened. Season with salt, pepper and a little thyme. Then stir in canned, frozen or par-boiled fresh vegetables of your choice, and continue to cook and stir until all is heated through. Re-season and pour into a baking dish. Cover with pie crust, make a few slits in the top to let the steam escape, and bake in 375 degree oven until crust is browned.

Tags
None