"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #21
Master Chef

Hub and I like fried peppers, onions and tomato for breakfast sometimes.

Mince a couple cloves fresh garlic. Clean and slice some cubanelle peppers or your favorite peppers (throw a couple hot ones in if you like hot), slice an onion or 2 and chop 1 or 2 vine tomatoes. Heat heavy pan (I use cast iron) and add small amount of olive oil and/or grapeseed oil. Add the garlic and saute till fragrant then add peppers, onions and tomatoes to pan. Season with salt, ground peppercorns and ground red pepper flakes to taste. Saute till desired doneness and serve. We usually eat as is but you can eat with crusty bread.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

I like to saute some fresh spinach to go with eggs (takes about 5 minutes to wilt the spinach) or just drop some fresh salsa on the eggs for the last couple of minutes to warm up the salsa. This works with scrambled eggs or fried eggs. I also like chicken liver and onions -- saute the onions first, before you start the liver, so the onions cook through. This is very good for you if you use organic liver. Full of B vitamins, iron, and the onions have lots of vitamin C.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #23
Executive Chef

leftover ratatouille in an omelet, mixed root veg hash, sauteed spinach and shallots on a bagel with cream cheese, roasted tomatoes with beans and eggs. Oh yeh, all of these are yummers.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to shnooky Send a message via Skype™ to shnooky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Soup is good any time of the day
I don't know about anytime of day, I live in virginia and it gets quite hot here. But other than that, soup is always great!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:09 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

veggies for breakfast is a great idea.

you can have hummus as a dip with cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, olives, bell peppers, zuchinni and others. you could also mix yogurt with a spice mix like zatar or duqa and dip in that. just chop extra veg while you're cooking dinner the night before, mix your hummus or yogurt dip, and breakfast is ready.

vegetable pancakes are delicious also. just grate or chop cabbage, zuchinni, greens, or other veg, mix with spices and enough egg to bind it all. drop by spoonfuls into a frying pan and flatten. flip when first side is done. eggplant is nice too if it is sauteed first.

savory oatmeal is good too. in some countries oats are used only as a thickener for soup. so take some leftover soup, add oats, reheat until oats are cooked. make it as thick or thin as you like and call it savory oatmeal.

quick breads/muffins are a good idea also and don't have to be sweet. use zuchinni, carrot, sweet potato, greens, corn, etc. you can add spices and cheeses to make a variety of flavors. if you mix and match with wheat, oats, and cornmeal there are many more options.

and savory bread puddings are delicious. breakfast pizzas and burritos and quiche, also. all are wonderfully yummy ways to eat veggies at breakfast.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Thanks for the ideas. One thing that keeps me cautious about breakfast foods is that my stomach is a little bit acidic when i first get up, and the oatmeals and breads help take care of that.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou
Thanks for the ideas. One thing that keeps me cautious about breakfast foods is that my stomach is a little bit acidic when i first get up, and the oatmeals and breads help take care of that.
Low acid, watery, high fiber vegetables like celery and lettuce can also help with that. Just limit stuff that is known to create a lot of gas like brocoli and cabbage. Or take a beano with the meal.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #28
Head Chef

I have become absolutely convinced that veggies are the way to make a hearty rib sticking breakfast without loading oneself down with the traditional carby, fatty breakfast fare that we in the US tend toward. Now don't get me wrong, I love a great breakfast of eggs meat, potatoes and bread. But adding veggies has become a standard for me. Today I really splurged and had a one egg cheese omlet smothered in asperagus (on sale this week) and fresh mushrooms, with 1/2 a mini bagel with a schmear of cream cheese and some strawberry jam, and to top it off a peppermint mocha latte. I feel so very pampered.
I love to add several tomato slices or some peaches as a side to eggs for breakfast. Also a leaf lettuce with cottage cheese and sliced veggies makes a nice breakfast. And it just feels so...I don't know... well almost decadent even though it's much better for me than all the fat and processed carbs.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #29
Sous Chef

i almost missed this thread !!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #30
Executive Chef

An omelet filled with finely diced veggies which have been sauteed in butter, with a bit of your favorite cheese is a wonderful breakfast. You can use almost any veggie for it.

Tags
breakfast, veggies