Veggies for breakfast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hub and I like fried peppers, onions and tomato for breakfast sometimes.

Mince a couple cloves fresh garlic. Clean and slice some cubanelle peppers or your favorite peppers (throw a couple hot ones in if you like hot), slice an onion or 2 and chop 1 or 2 vine tomatoes. Heat heavy pan (I use cast iron) and add small amount of olive oil and/or grapeseed oil. Add the garlic and saute till fragrant then add peppers, onions and tomatoes to pan. Season with salt, ground peppercorns and ground red pepper flakes to taste. Saute till desired doneness and serve. We usually eat as is but you can eat with crusty bread.

I like to saute some fresh spinach to go with eggs (takes about 5 minutes to wilt the spinach) or just drop some fresh salsa on the eggs for the last couple of minutes to warm up the salsa. This works with scrambled eggs or fried eggs. I also like chicken liver and onions -- saute the onions first, before you start the liver, so the onions cook through. This is very good for you if you use organic liver. Full of B vitamins, iron, and the onions have lots of vitamin C.

leftover ratatouille in an omelet, mixed root veg hash, sauteed spinach and shallots on a bagel with cream cheese, roasted tomatoes with beans and eggs. Oh yeh, all of these are yummers.

veggies for breakfast is a great idea.

you can have hummus as a dip with cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, olives, bell peppers, zuchinni and others. you could also mix yogurt with a spice mix like zatar or duqa and dip in that. just chop extra veg while you're cooking dinner the night before, mix your hummus or yogurt dip, and breakfast is ready.

vegetable pancakes are delicious also. just grate or chop cabbage, zuchinni, greens, or other veg, mix with spices and enough egg to bind it all. drop by spoonfuls into a frying pan and flatten. flip when first side is done. eggplant is nice too if it is sauteed first.

savory oatmeal is good too. in some countries oats are used only as a thickener for soup. so take some leftover soup, add oats, reheat until oats are cooked. make it as thick or thin as you like and call it savory oatmeal.

quick breads/muffins are a good idea also and don't have to be sweet. use zuchinni, carrot, sweet potato, greens, corn, etc. you can add spices and cheeses to make a variety of flavors. if you mix and match with wheat, oats, and cornmeal there are many more options.

and savory bread puddings are delicious. breakfast pizzas and burritos and quiche, also. all are wonderfully yummy ways to eat veggies at breakfast.

Thanks for the ideas. One thing that keeps me cautious about breakfast foods is that my stomach is a little bit acidic when i first get up, and the oatmeals and breads help take care of that.

pengyou said:
Thanks for the ideas. One thing that keeps me cautious about breakfast foods is that my stomach is a little bit acidic when i first get up, and the oatmeals and breads help take care of that.

Low acid, watery, high fiber vegetables like celery and lettuce can also help with that. Just limit stuff that is known to create a lot of gas like brocoli and cabbage. Or take a beano with the meal.

I have become absolutely convinced that veggies are the way to make a hearty rib sticking breakfast without loading oneself down with the traditional carby, fatty breakfast fare that we in the US tend toward. Now don't get me wrong, I love a great breakfast of eggs meat, potatoes and bread. But adding veggies has become a standard for me. Today I really splurged and had a one egg cheese omlet smothered in asperagus (on sale this week) and fresh mushrooms, with 1/2 a mini bagel with a schmear of cream cheese and some strawberry jam, and to top it off a peppermint mocha latte. I feel so very pampered.
I love to add several tomato slices or some peaches as a side to eggs for breakfast. Also a leaf lettuce with cottage cheese and sliced veggies makes a nice breakfast. And it just feels so...I don't know... well almost decadent even though it's much better for me than all the fat and processed carbs.

An omelet filled with finely diced veggies which have been sauteed in butter, with a bit of your favorite cheese is a wonderful breakfast. You can use almost any veggie for it.

Green smoothies are the way to go. . You can add spinach to any smoothie and you barley taste it. I also add cucumber, kale, chard, carrot juice, parsley, depending on what is in the fridge. The taste of these leafy greens pretty much get lost in a smoothie with other fruit, yogurt, milk etc........

Last edited:
Green smoothies are the way to go. . You can add spinach to any smoothie and you barley taste it. I also add cucumber, kale, chard, carrot juice, parsley, depending on what is in the fridge. The taste of these leafy greens pretty much get lost in a smoothie with other fruit, yogurt, milk etc........
My daughter just tried this one this morning and loved it: My Top Secret Diet Weapon | Iowa Girl Eats

I have veggies every morning for breakfast--usually steamed kale or swiss chard and then a glass of beet-carrot-kale-chard-apple/strawberry/blueberry/cherry juice. I sometimes add steamed green beans and, when it is tomato season (still waiting here), a tomato or two. I did read that if you eat greens, you should eat whole grains with them to get all the nutritional value. This morning I had barley with my greens, yesterday it was oatmeal, the day before that, 10-grain mix.

Beetroot, Celery, Cucumber, Parsley Fresh Juice

I have a veggie combo fresh juice almost every morning ... Sometimes, tropical fruit or tomato ...

I am going to be 50, however, we take exemplary care of our body machines and always have. We function on optium energy level and are professionally & socially very active. We need to be fit to handle the extreme dryness of Madrid, however, this shall not be for much longer.

Buonasera, Ciao.
Margaux Cintrano

This morning I made two smoothies, one for today, one for tomorrow.
2 Tomatoes
1 cucumber
1 peach
1 plum
1 apple
1 banana
1/2 cup of water
10 almonds

I often add greens/lettuces.

I noticed that when I started having smoothies everyday, my acid stomach stopped. I haven't needed an antacid now for a couple months--not in the morning, not all day and not at night. I think it's amazing.

I had red and green frying peppers, onions, fresh garlic and chopped tomatoes fried in grapeseed oil for breakfast.

In Israel salad is a breakfast food. I can always tells the Israelis who walk into my store they order a salad at 9 am

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom