"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Veggies for breakfast?

I am making a plan for a densely nutritious breakfast and would like to find a way to include veggies in breakfast. I would like to include veggies in each of my 5 meals per day to try to get as many of the nutrients as possible in a natural form. I know that 5 fruits and 5 veggies is overkill for the food pyramid but they are still carbs also and have nutrition without much, if any, fat. Chinese people have several ways to eat veggies for breakfast but I am hoping to: a. find a way to do it in my home and b. avoid the msg they put in things c. avoid deep frying. They eat pickled radishes and other veggies - those I could probably do myself. Maybe the bigger problem that I am facing is that my breakfasts tend to lean to the sweet side....

I know that omelets are one way - maybe a tomato, mushroom and spinach omelete? Omelets, in my experience, usually have a relatively small amount of veggies in them - not enough to count as one serving. Juice is another...any other suggestions? and recipes? I am trying to stay with foods that are simple to prepare and clean up after - it is breakfast, you know and I am cooking for one.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
I am making a plan for a densely nutritious breakfast and would like to find a way to include veggies in breakfast. I would like to include veggies in each of my 5 meals per day to try to get as many of the nutrients as possible in a natural form. I know that 5 fruits and 5 veggies is overkill for the food pyramid but they are still carbs also and have nutrition without much, if any, fat. Chinese people have several ways to eat veggies for breakfast but I am hoping to: a. find a way to do it in my home and b. avoid the msg they put in things c. avoid deep frying. They eat pickled radishes and other veggies - those I could probably do myself. Maybe the bigger problem that I am facing is that my breakfasts tend to lean to the sweet side....

I know that omelets are one way - maybe a tomato, mushroom and spinach omelete? Omelets, in my experience, usually have a relatively small amount of veggies in them - not enough to count as one serving. Juice is another...any other suggestions? and recipes? I am trying to stay with foods that are simple to prepare and clean up after - it is breakfast, you know and I am cooking for one.
Make extra of the veggies you like the night before and add them to your eggs in the morning. You are free to add as much as you like to an omelet. I love roasted asparagus and tomato omelets with a lemon butter sauce...very good. Even stir fried veggies would be good.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Make extra of the veggies you like the night before and add them to your eggs in the morning. You are free to add as much as you like to an omelet. I love roasted asparagus and tomato omelets with a lemon butter sauce...very good. Even stir fried veggies would be good.
Yes, this is a great idea. I often have eggs in the morning with leftover veggies from the night before on the side. I've also made veggies fresh for breakfast. Who says that breakfast has to only be limited to sweet things or eggs?

Juicing is another great way to get your veggies in the morning. One of my favorite breakfast juices is kale, celery, apple, and cucumber.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
Master Chef

I'm not much of a breakfast food officionado, so don't have much of a problem with pasta cooked in broth with chopped veggies.

That said, the best use of veggies in traditional breakfast fare, to me, is a fritata.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
Cook

Just start eating vegetables in the morning. No one ever said you had to eat eggs and toast or oatmeal for breakfast.

Seriously, nice steamed veggies would probably have you feeling terrific by lunch.

*not actually a hero
NotActuallyaHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #6
Master Chef

I love soup for breakfast. You can add as much veg as you like and eat it with or without bread. You can also make gazpacho in the hot summer months.
It's quick since you cook a big pot full and just warm it in the morning.
Omelets are also a good way to get veg as you mentioned, just add more veggies like asparagus, spinach, tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, aubergine etc. And you can make a stirfry of veg and just add it to your omelet in the morning.
If you like sweet breakfast you can always make fruit salads with yogurt and honey to sweeten. Very tasty and you'll still get your 5 a day!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Thanks! I feel comforted :) When I am being good, eating right and exercising, I usually have 2 breakfasts, one at 5:30 (a protein shake with a banana and one other kind of fruit in season) and some kind of carb...then comes the exercise...then comes breakfast number 2...I have found oatmeal to be the best "stick to the ribs" food...but I am toying with the idea of making a savory oatmeal. I usually do eggs at this point...and can toss in the veggies. Has anyone ever done a savory oatmeal? It sounds unpatriotic :)

Note: I just googled on "savory oatmeal" and was shocked at the number of results I found.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
Executive Chef

left over ratatouille is prime omelet filling in my books. A fried tomato (easy to make with an egg, is yummy, and you don't have to flour it (although it is nice that way. all it needs is salt pepper and oregano. sauteed mushrooms are also great next to egg and toast.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
Master Chef

Snip, we too love soup for breakfast. Robo, the tomatoes are coming in and that sounds great.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Snip, we too love soup for breakfast. Robo, the tomatoes are coming in and that sounds great.
Soup is good any time of the day

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakfast, veggies