1 Lb. ground Venison (or Hamburger)
1 med. onion -- small dice
1 clove garlic -- minced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 1/2 c. cooked brown rice

prepare sauce:
In large saucepan, mix diced tomatoes, Puree, paste, brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, Worcestershire sauce and allspice. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

While this is simmering, remove and discard the tough outer leaves from cabbage. Remove 2 large leaves and set aside for later........ Cut out stem of cabbage with a paring knife; Scrape out a cavity in the center of cabbage, leaving 1″ shell.
(I do this with an old ice cream scoop that I've sharpened)
Dice up the cabbage you've removed..

In another large saucepan, cook ground venison, onion, garlic, salt, pepper flakes and black pepper and 1 cup of diced cabbage until meat is browned and cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes.
(I usually save the rest of the diced cabbage for another use)
Drain off fat if you want to, and return to the pan.
Stir in cooked rice and about 1/3 of the Sauce mixture. Remove from heat and
Fill cabbage shell with the meat mixture.
In same saucepan, add 1cup water. Scrape to loosen brown bits.
Place the cabbage, hole-side-up, into the pan. Cover the hole with the two reserved leaves.
Ladle half of the remaining sauce / cabbage mixture over and around the stuffed cabbage.
Bring this to the boil over high heat. As soon as it starts to boil, Reduce heat to Low. Cover and simmer until cabbage is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
To serve: place cabbage in a deep platter, Cut in wedges.
Spoon on some of the remaining sauce over each wedge.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:23 AM   #2
Executive Chef

My kind of food trim, check out serbian meat sarma.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Senior Cook

That's almost like stuffed cabbage rolls, only in one head of cabbage! I wonder how venison would cook up in individual cabbage rolls - hhmm?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:51 AM   #4
Executive Chef

This is my beautiful Serbian Mum In Law making Sarma using minced wild pig and veal useing salt cured cabbage also struddel using hand pulled pastry in my nieces house in Starigrad.Click image for larger version

Name:	croatia 2010 077.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	9141

Click image for larger version

Name:	croatia 2010 075.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	9142

Name:	croatia 2010 078.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	9143

Name:	croatia 2010 076.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	9144

Name:	croatia 2010 082.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	9148
Old 12-06-2010, 03:24 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Apple strudel and stuffed peppers.Click image for larger version

Name:	croatia 2010 082.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	9149

Name:	croatia 2010 083.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	9150

Name:	croatia 2010 081.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	9151

Tags
recipe

Venison-Stuffed Whole Cabbage Venison-Stuffed Cabbage 2 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, drained 1 (6 oz.) can tomato puree 1small can tomato paste 1 TBL brown sugar 1/2 tsp. salt 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce 1/8 tsp. allspice 1large head cabbage 1 Lb. ground Venison (or Hamburger) 1 med. onion -- small dice 1 clove garlic -- minced 1 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. black pepper 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes 1 1/2 c. cooked brown rice prepare sauce: In large saucepan, mix diced tomatoes, Puree, paste, brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, Worcestershire sauce and allspice. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. While this is simmering, remove and discard the tough outer leaves from cabbage. Remove 2 large leaves and set aside for later........ Cut out stem of cabbage with a paring knife; Scrape out a cavity in the center of cabbage, leaving 1″ shell. (I do this with an old ice cream scoop that I've sharpened) Dice up the cabbage you've removed.. In another large saucepan, cook ground venison, onion, garlic, salt, pepper flakes and black pepper and 1 cup of diced cabbage until meat is browned and cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes. (I usually save the rest of the diced cabbage for another use) Drain off fat if you want to, and return to the pan. Stir in cooked rice and about 1/3 of the Sauce mixture. Remove from heat and Fill cabbage shell with the meat mixture. In same saucepan, add 1cup water. Scrape to loosen brown bits. Place the cabbage, hole-side-up, into the pan. Cover the hole with the two reserved leaves. Ladle half of the remaining sauce / cabbage mixture over and around the stuffed cabbage. Bring this to the boil over high heat. As soon as it starts to boil, Reduce heat to Low. Cover and simmer until cabbage is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. To serve: place cabbage in a deep platter, Cut in wedges. Spoon on some of the remaining sauce over each wedge. [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/stuffedcabbage.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/Rumproast005.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/Stuffedcabbage001.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/Rumproast018.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/Rumproast019.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews