Vidalia Onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Giving this a bump for GrantsKat....
The onion is post #22.
I'm hungry now!!

Onion-o-rama!!!! sounds good and you're welcome!
I bet you're glad you put off that shopping now!

I certainly seems that Vidalias are running late into the season this year.
I'm in heaven :)

If I remember correctly "Vidalia" is a patented onion and can only come from GA. to be labeled Vidalia onions. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure. Texas 1025's are close but not quite as sweet and Walla Walla's have never floated my boat so to speak.

For grilling I marinate in Italian dressing after I've sliced them 1/2" thick and they are tasty. Here's a little trick I've learned if you are going to grill them as slices, get some cheap skewers and skewer them width wise and they are so much easier to handle on the grill. They don't come apart and you can grill them just like you grill burgers.

If I remember correctly "Vidalia" is a patented onion and can only come from GA. to be labeled Vidalia onions. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure. Texas 1025's are close but not quite as sweet and Walla Walla's have never floated my boat so to speak.

For grilling I marinate in Italian dressing after I've sliced them 1/2" thick and they are tasty. Here's a little trick I've learned if you are going to grill them as slices, get some cheap skewers and skewer them width wise and they are so much easier to handle on the grill. They don't come apart and you can grill them just like you grill burgers.

You are correct on both counts. A Vidalia onion is a Vidalia onion because it's grown in the soil that is unique to Vidalia Georgia. Technically no one can call them Vidalias unless they come from that location.

As for skewering onion slices, you're right, that method makes it easy and gives the onion slices a large area for carmelizaton. If you use wood skewers be sure to soak them for at least 30 minutes to keep the dry wood from burning.

The Georgia legislature passed the "Vidalia Onion Act" in 1986 limiting onions grown in 19 counties surrounding Vidalia in southeast Georgia as onions that can have the vidalia onion trademark.

It sounds like the recipe angle is covered (I'm the biggest fan of in foil with butter, margarine or olive oil, S&P, on the grill). For those of you without Vidalias, I noticed that Maui onions and the Georgias have a red-clay soil in common (haven't been to Walla Walla -- anyone?), but am wondering in other parts of the world if that iron rich red clay soil might be a factor in the flavor, or are the onion varieties themselves the cause? In spite of the regulating factors I've bought some Vidalias that didn't look or taste like the real thing labelled as such. Put them raw in a salad and our eyes watered. Now I buy them a little at a time in season. Oh, a close second is my husband's French onion soup. Good with any onion, great with a Vidalia.

Back
Top Bottom