"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #51
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillncook View Post
If I remember correctly "Vidalia" is a patented onion and can only come from GA. to be labeled Vidalia onions. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure. Texas 1025's are close but not quite as sweet and Walla Walla's have never floated my boat so to speak.

For grilling I marinate in Italian dressing after I've sliced them 1/2" thick and they are tasty. Here's a little trick I've learned if you are going to grill them as slices, get some cheap skewers and skewer them width wise and they are so much easier to handle on the grill. They don't come apart and you can grill them just like you grill burgers.
The Georgia legislature passed the "Vidalia Onion Act" in 1986 limiting onions grown in 19 counties surrounding Vidalia in southeast Georgia as onions that can have the vidalia onion trademark.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #52
Master Chef

It sounds like the recipe angle is covered (I'm the biggest fan of in foil with butter, margarine or olive oil, S&P, on the grill). For those of you without Vidalias, I noticed that Maui onions and the Georgias have a red-clay soil in common (haven't been to Walla Walla -- anyone?), but am wondering in other parts of the world if that iron rich red clay soil might be a factor in the flavor, or are the onion varieties themselves the cause? In spite of the regulating factors I've bought some Vidalias that didn't look or taste like the real thing labelled as such. Put them raw in a salad and our eyes watered. Now I buy them a little at a time in season. Oh, a close second is my husband's French onion soup. Good with any onion, great with a Vidalia.

Tags
None