Warm Tomato in a Caprese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjag03

Assistant Cook
I work at a restuarant that has a Caprese salad. I wish to know if anyone know why you are supposed to used warm Tomatos.

For the salad I take 5 slices for beef steak tomato. Arrange them in a circle around a plate. Then take about 1/4 cup of julienned red onions and place them in the middle. Drizzle a little bit of olive oil on the onions, and balsamic vinegar on the Tomatos. spinkle a pinch of salt and pepper of the plate. Then take 5 leaves of big leaves of basil and place them where the tomatos meat. Take 3 Fresh Mozzarella balls (6 if they are small) and place 1/2 in the middle of each tomato and place one on top of the red onion. Take 5 kalamata olives and place on each basil leaf.

That is the salad. The recipe calls for 5 slices of warm beefsteak tomatos. Warm tomatos are not as easy to cut on the fly. The get smushed and lose there pretty round shape(even with a sharp knife). So I keep the tomatos cool.

Does anyone know why you are to use warm tomato?

Tomatoes are much more flavorful when they are not cold. You should never refrigerate a tomato, even after it's been cut.

If you're having trouble slicing them, try a serated knife.

As SS said. Most foods have more pronounced flavors at room temp. Tomatoes lose flavor if chilled and never recover.

Mom taught me to never put a tomato in the refrigerator.

When I read the title of the line, I thought you meant that you warmed the tomato. I never refrigerate a tomato unless I know it is going to go bad and want to save it for soup or something, even then I'm more likely to freeze it. Mom always kept hers in the fridge. They taste so much better at room temperature. The cheese should be as well, for my taste mozerella is pretty tasteless out of the fridge.

Welcome to DC! The salad sounds really tasty! I read s/where that refridgerating tomatoes not only cuts the taste by about 50% but vitamins, etc. are lost...I use a serrated knife. And, since we have 250-300 tomato plants every summer, I eat a lot of tomatoes and deal with a lot of tomatoes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom