"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #71
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

A nice hot hibachi will clear that right up.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #72
Executive Chef

I've got some of that stuff in my freezer. I wish it would go away. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have auto-defrost. Guess your climate doesn't either... At least not until you tear a few more pages off the calendar.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Cute! In Hawaii and in Florida I had one heck of a problem keeping birds from my tomatoes (and in Hawaii, papayas). As soon as they'd turn from green to ripe, I mean, first streak of any color but green, and the birds got them. The papaya were easy, ripening inside they pretty much tasted like they'd ripen on the trees. But I finally hit upon buying some green nylon net at a fabric store and throwing it over the tomato plants as camoflauge. Sun in, birds out. Have a plethoria of squirrels, but so far they've stayed away from the tomatoes.
Birds, flying insects that go for flowers, etc, don't go for green. Have you ever seen a green flower that has necter inside? Down south they paint their porch roofs green so hornets and bees will not build a nest there. And according to experiements, blue is the favorite of many brids.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We tried rapini. It was okay, but bitter. DH and I dislike bitter. I'm certainly not going to pay those prices for a bitter tasting vegi.
Thank you. I am not alone hating bitter foods.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Thank you. I am not alone hating bitter foods.
Generally people who have more taste buds dislike bitter more than people with fewer taste buds. I'm glad I found that out. Now I have an answer to all those snarky folks who tell me that I have an unsophisticated palate.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #76
Executive Chef

There have been a lot of theories about taste along the lines that bitter vegetables are more likely to be toxic, and that during human evolution (think back to when humans were mostly hunter-gatherers) pregnant women who developed a dislike of bitter food during their pregnancy were more likely to birth healthy children. Darwinian evolutionary theory would day that the pregnant mothers who were willing to eat bitter vegetables during pregnancies had more miscarriages and thus fewer children overall. The theory would explain aversion of bitter foods by pregnant women. To some degree it explains why children often dislike bitter vegetables.

People have a lot of taste preferences. I'm sure some are hereditary and some are due to culture and exposure to various foods particularly while young. It's another one of those nature vs. nurture issues. I'm pretty sure it's both.

I like practically all tastes, including bitter provided it's cooked in an interesting way. I would never ridicule or tease anybody who doesn't like something. What are the examples of vegetables that people who don't like bitter tastes reject?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Crisp romaine hearts in a good salad with fresh lemon.

Bean sprouts stir fried with yellow peppers & snow peas.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #78
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Birds, flying insects that go for flowers, etc, don't go for green. Have you ever seen a green flower that has necter inside? Down south they paint their porch roofs green so hornets and bees will not build a nest there. And according to experiements, blue is the favorite of many brids.
Interesting. When I lived in Virginia, most old house's porch floors were painted gray, the porch roofs were blue or green/blue. I just thought it was reflecting the colors around us.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Interesting. When I lived in Virginia, most old house's porch floors were painted gray, the porch roofs were blue or green/blue. I just thought it was reflecting the colors around us.
I should have said their porch ceilings. Sorry. My bad!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #80
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Bwells
I love eggplants sliced sautéed and in a wrap sometimes.

Broccoli ofcourse steamed garlic onion powder seasoned salt and butter

And last nothing feels you up quite like a potato, potato salads are not just for the summer time. Mayo relish garlic clove mustard Dijon hard boiled eggs and smoked paprika sea salt and pepper for taste

Tags
veggies