"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #21
Head Chef

My favourite is kalamata .

Old 05-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm not a fan of black olives. they're a bland waste of time, imo.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

I like all kind of olives! Anyway, for me, the most tasty olives are the "Arbequina" Olives and the black olives.

The arbequina olive is a very small olive that we have here in Catalonia. We use it so extensive for making a varietal olive oil and as appetizer.

You can find more information about arbequina olives in Wikipedia:
Arbequina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

About Black olives I think you have the same information as me. You can find them worldwide.

-Ireneu-
Old 05-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #24
Head Chef

Hi Ireneu,
My best memories are of Costa Brava. I was in St Feliu de Guixols and Tossa Del Mar, and a local took me to some amazing restaurants. I have to say, it was the best food I've ever had, and I've lived in Paris and other great food locations.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Hehehe! I'm really very happy with your comment Merstar. Not in vain we have had the most important restaurants in world: El Bulli and El Celler de Can Roca. Anyway, there's not necessary to go to the famous restaurants for eating very good. Here are a lot of little or unknown restaurants that they serve a good food too, but they are hidden for the tourist.

Tip: if you want to eat good and cheap in Catalonia/ Spain, you have to ask the natives and run away from the downtown. The good ones normally aren't in the touristic zones.

-Ireneu-
Old 05-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireneu View Post
Hehehe! I'm really very happy with your comment Merstar. Not in vain we have had the most important restaurants in world: El Bulli and El Celler de Can Roca. Anyway, there's not necessary to go to the famous restaurants for eating very good. Here are a lot of little or unknown restaurants that they serve a good food too, but they are hidden for the tourist.

Tip: if you want to eat good and cheap in Catalonia/ Spain, you have to ask the natives and run away from the downtown. The good ones normally aren't in the touristic zones.

-Ireneu-
Absolutely - That's why I was so glad to have a native bring me to all the best local restaurants, many of them were family-owned and only known by the locals. None of them were for the tourists. The food was superb - so fresh and delicious beyond compare. The local wine was also superb. I wish I could remember the names of the restaurants, but it was so long ago.

On another note: A few months ago, I tried a new extra virgin olive oil - It's from Spain and is called Nunez de Prado. It's excellent!

By the way, besides the food being fantastic, I thought the Costa Brava was soooo beautiful - with the ocean and mountains and countryside... The people were also very, very nice - warm and friendly.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
Absolutely - That's why I was so glad to have a native bring me to all the best local restaurants, many of them were family-owned and only known by the locals. None of them were for the tourists. The food was superb - so fresh and delicious beyond compare. The local wine was also superb. I wish I could remember the names of the restaurants, but it was so long ago.
In Catalonia we have a lot of regional wines. I suppose that you have tasted the EmpordÓ wines. Don't you?

Quote:
On another note: A few months ago, I tried a new extra virgin olive oil - It's from Spain and is called Nunez de Prado. It's excellent!
Did you bought that oil in US? I don't know that oil brand. Anyway, I don't use that kind of bottled oil, because we buy our olive oil directly from farmers.

In Tarragona, the farmers cultivate a long extension of olive trees and every village have his own agricultural cooperative. The products that they sell are from the better quality and with a very competitive prizes. The oil that we use at home is mixed from Picual and Hojiblanca olives and it comes from first pressed. That oil is extra virgin too (ultra high quality) , but not everybody likes because it's so strong and not recommended for fried-food. We usually use it for seasoning salads or vegetables, even for make our "Catalan national food", a bread toast with garlic, oil and tomato. Have you tried it, Merstar?

Quote:
By the way, besides the food being fantastic, I thought the Costa Brava was soooo beautiful - with the ocean and mountains and countryside... The people were also very, very nice - warm and friendly.
Hehehe... I like very much the Costa Brava and the Rosas Gulf countryside. It's a pity that our landscape can be more loved by the tourists than by the natives.

-Ireneu-
Old 05-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
Head Chef

Ireneu,

You're lucky you can buy your oil directly from your farmers! Here's an article about Nunez de Prado:
The N˙˝ez de Prado Obession with Perfection - Olive Oil Times

I'm not sure what kind of wine I had, but one of the red wines I had was produced by the owners of the restaurant in St. Feliu de Guixols. They also had their own farm, so a lot of the food I ordered, such as the chicken, was from their farm.

"Catalan national food", a bread toast with garlic, oil and tomato. Have you tried it, Merstar?"

Yes, I have! It was soooo delicious!
Old 05-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #29
Head Chef

Oil-cured olives in a jar, but they're a once-in-a-while treat.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

I've read the article, Merstar. It's very interesting all the magazine, including one article dedicated to Siurana PDO (the kind of oil that I use) and the problems that they will have with the global warming in the future.

Concerning to the wine that you tasted in St. Feliu de Guixols, I think it could become to the EmpordÓ PDO. but I'm not sure because St Feliu is in the border of the region. I will investigate!

-Ireneu-

Tags
None