What are your favourite olives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love olives - especially black ones but am finding it harder and harder to find them with pits. The depitted ones lose flavor and the texture breaks down quickly in brine.

My favorites are Niçoise - those tiny little black gems from the french riviera (although most of them come from spain and morocco). They are especially good on pizza!

I love olives - especially black ones but am finding it harder and harder to find them with pits. The depitted ones lose flavor and the texture breaks down quickly in brine.

I agree about the 'no pits'---- they just don't keep as well. I imagine that 'no pits' is the consequence of someone suing (and winning) a case because they broke a tooth off on a pit from a salad bar.

It's the pits.

Not mine... I live in the middle of nowhere where fine dining = Dennys and deli food = slaw and a chub of bologna ;)

You have a Denny's! We don't have one of those, or a Red Lobster, or an Outback Steak House, or a Red Robin, or any of those - better than McDonald's" places. We do have a restaurant that serves overpriced, soggy veggies, and overcooked lamb chops with "yech:sick:" mint sauce, and wine soaked breaded mushrooms, where the wine completely obliterates the great mushroom flavor. We used to have a KFC, but it got closed by the health department.

Woe is me. With my cooking skills, the best I can hope for is a potted meat sandwich, and that on moldy bread. (heavy sigh);).

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
well, that 'splains it, lucy.

why you've become a great cook.

you had to!

although with red oversalted floating in cheap butter lobster, and outback dried out, overspiced, greasy fried steakhouse, you ain't missin' nothin'.

I'm an unpitted kalamata girl. I am not picky though. I'll eat nearly every olive that crosses my path. I really dislike pimento though so Murray scores whenever I eat olives stuffed with pimento.

Not mine... I live in the middle of nowhere where fine dining = Dennys and deli food = slaw and a chub of bologna ;)
I know the feeling. I have to drive to Ottawa, which is about one hour and fifteen minutes to the nearest decent black olive. So, I like to stock up when we do. We have Kalamatas around here, but they are pretty mild.

I'm an unpitted kalamata girl. I am not picky though. I'll eat nearly every olive that crosses my path. I really dislike pimento though so Murray scores whenever I eat olives stuffed with pimento.

If you ever run across green olives stuffed with almonds you should try them! I remember my Mom putting them out in the relish tray every Thanksgiving and Christmas. I thought they were wonderful! :yum: Haven't seen them for years. Just went looking for them online and found an Epicurious recipe to make them at home. Some day, perhaps, I'll try...

If you ever run across green olives stuffed with almonds you should try them! I remember my Mom putting them out in the relish tray every Thanksgiving and Christmas. I thought they were wonderful! :yum: Haven't seen them for years. Just went looking for them online and found an Epicurious recipe to make them at home. Some day, perhaps, I'll try...
We sell them at the deli. I can mail you a jar if there are any in stock.

We sell them at the deli. I can mail you a jar if there are any in stock.

Aw, thanks so much! But it's probably cheaper to try and make them at home. It's been so many decades since I've had them that I really don't remember what they taste like except for "good". Plus it would be fun to say I made them myself. (Geez, now I sound like a 5 year old. :LOL: )

Murray the Pimento Pup! Lol...I can just see him sitting there waiting for each little piece with his eyes twinkling and a grin. Haven't had a pic of Murray lately...how does he do with the rest of the olive?

I love almost all olives. Kalamata are the ones I always make sure to have at home. I tried a variety of North African olives and a couple of them were too bitter for my liking.

Stirling doesn't like olives enough to munch them, but he likes them enough to cook with them.

I had a friend who would give an olive or three to her cat after clipping her claws. The cat liked them enough that she would meow and offer her paw to get some. :LOL:

This reminds me - I LOVE big green olives stuffed with garlic cloves - they get pickled right along with the olive and are wonderful! :chef:

Murray the Pimento Pup! Lol...I can just see him sitting there waiting for each little piece with his eyes twinkling and a grin. Haven't had a pic of Murray lately...how does he do with the rest of the olive?

Our first cat loved pimento olives. One dropped on the floor once and she chased it until the pimento fell out, then looked for a treat because, apparently, she killed the evil intruder and deserved a reward. :LOL:

although with red oversalted floating in cheap butter lobster, and outback dried out, overspiced, greasy fried steakhouse, you ain't missin' nothin'.

I agree. I'd rather eat an egg salad sandwich @ home then "dine" at any of those place. And do!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom