"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 06-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

i like em cooked but don't make them. to big a mess and the staining is very annoying

babe

Old 06-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I use beets in my cooking, I love it in the borscht, I'd eat them raw, I like them in a fish salad I make, but would not touch beet salad my mom makes. It is really hard to say. You have to try it more than one way because they are completely diferent in a diferent dish.
Charlie! I can't imagine not eating your mother's beet salad. Is it weird or something? Fish salad with beets sounds weird but interesting - any hints on what's in it and how you dress it - lemon juice or vinegar and oil?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #13
Master Chef

I have posted recipe before. Use equal parts of boiled potato, carots, beets, hard boiled egg, canned green peas, my mom adds fresh onion and pickles. I find those two additions repulsive, though I lovee them otherwise. Dice everything fainly(sp?).
I use red canned salmon, smashed/mashed or in chunks if you prefer. Use about the same amount of fish as you have total of vegies. Use round serving plate. Arange the fish in the middle, add all the veggies in a little scoops around the fish. Add them in repiting order. Now mix some mayo with lemon juice. I do not have proportions. Just so mayo is kind of runny. Sprincle some salt over the fish. Poor the mayo to cover fish only. Do not put too much, just enough to cover fish with a thin layer (you can always add some more latter). Serve like that. After everybody seehow beautiful the salad is mix everything well, let people take the salad them selves. Yum. No matter how often I serve it it is always a big hit.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #14
Master Chef

As far as my mom's beet salad goes, she adds some walnuts, some garlic, I think some mayo, maybe not, can't remember. I hate it. Don't know why.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #15
Executive Chef

The most simple way to find out if you like beets is to buy a can of sliced beets not the pickled kind chill the can in the fridge and then put them on a salad. I love beets especially on salad. Beets are a good tonic for the blood as well. If you like them in a salad go from there with fresh ones. I don't think they taste earthy at all.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #16
Head Chef

Thanks Charlie - got it, looks good. See uniqueenigma, there are lots of ways to like beets.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:00 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueenigma View Post
I've been debating trying to add beets into my diet (cooking them fresh, not using the canned variety). What do they taste like? I heard from my boyfriend, they taste sweet. Are they earthy in taste? By this I mean, do they taste like dirt. I've had the canned baby corn, and I hate it because it tastes like dirt to me.

Beets are evil and taste awful and you should never eat them.

They're sweet.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Gee, Andy, tell me how you REALLYfeel.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:28 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Think deep dark sugar.
Beets pair wonderfully with: orange zest, caramelized shallots, candied walnuts, balsamic reduction, goat cheese.

Enjoy!
Old 06-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueenigma View Post
I've been debating trying to add beets into my diet (cooking them fresh, not using the canned variety). What do they taste like? I heard from my boyfriend, they taste sweet. Are they earthy in taste? By this I mean, do they taste like dirt. I've had the canned baby corn, and I hate it because it tastes like dirt to me.
DH says yes, they taste like dirt. I love them, they taste like beets to me <shrug>.

Tags
None