What do beets taste like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been debating trying to add beets into my diet (cooking them fresh, not using the canned variety). What do they taste like? I heard from my boyfriend, they taste sweet. Are they earthy in taste? By this I mean, do they taste like dirt. I've had the canned baby corn, and I hate it because it tastes like dirt to me.

Hmm, that is hard to answer. I love beets. DH HATES them. lol
They are sweet. I don't know that they have a dirt taste or not. I think taste is all up to the person. You will jsut have to try them.

Last edited:
No idea. Never ate a beet in my life, unless it was force fed to me as baby food :LOL:
But canned corn tastes earthy? :huh: Definitely a "unique" taste compared to frozen or fresh, but I wouldn't call it earthy.

Umm........earthy fruit punch.

If you cook them, wear latex gloves and dont put them on a wooden cutting board. They stain everything.

Raw , they are very sweet, with a carrot-like consistency. I guess cooked they have kinda like a cooked carrot-like consistency too. Personally, only use them when I make a cold beet soup ( borscht) . Ive heard they are good baked too. They do stain everything as mentioned above, and if u eat enough of them at once, your pee can actually be pinkish red in color. Scared the heck out of me the first time, thought I was bleeding internally.

The DW makes a killer layered salad with carrot, potato, beets and scallions, I can eat a ton of it....
your pee can actually be pinkish red in color. Scared the heck out of me the first time, thought I was bleeding internally.

....ditto on that! Nearly passed out! :ermm:

I love 'em hot or cold. Earthy?
I think they are sweet and sort of not tart, but I can't put my finger on it.
Earthy? Not quite sure what that means.
I think boiled or baked they are alittle harder in texture that a cooked carrot, but smooth/firm texture.
I add to salad, or just it's own salad of raw onion, salt/pepper, vinegar and oil, or hot - simple, just butter.

I use beets in my cooking, I love it in the borscht, I'd eat them raw, I like them in a fish salad I make, but would not touch beet salad my mom makes. It is really hard to say. You have to try it more than one way because they are completely diferent in a diferent dish.

Beets just have their own taste, I can eat them in salad but love pickled beets, hubby likes neither - not earthy to me at all ! Gotta just try them both ways.

They taste like ah... um, er ah like a root vegetable on the sweetish side, actually very good in a salad (just use your imagination, actually one of the best salads I ever had was made with beets and other veges by a Ukrainian young lady) and aw shucks, go ahead and buy a small can and try them. If they are on the right track for you try some fresh while they are in season now. I like to bake them - rub off the skin and add in small pieces as the last stage in bosch. You can wrap them in foil to bake. 350 degrees F for half hour or so - until a fork easily penetrates.

Actually they are good eats - do nicely pickled also.

I use beets in my cooking, I love it in the borscht, I'd eat them raw, I like them in a fish salad I make, but would not touch beet salad my mom makes. It is really hard to say. You have to try it more than one way because they are completely diferent in a diferent dish.

Charlie! I can't imagine not eating your mother's beet salad. Is it weird or something? Fish salad with beets sounds weird but interesting - any hints on what's in it and how you dress it - lemon juice or vinegar and oil?

I have posted recipe before. Use equal parts of boiled potato, carots, beets, hard boiled egg, canned green peas, my mom adds fresh onion and pickles. I find those two additions repulsive, though I lovee them otherwise. Dice everything fainly(sp?).
I use red canned salmon, smashed/mashed or in chunks if you prefer. Use about the same amount of fish as you have total of vegies. Use round serving plate. Arange the fish in the middle, add all the veggies in a little scoops around the fish. Add them in repiting order. Now mix some mayo with lemon juice. I do not have proportions. Just so mayo is kind of runny. Sprincle some salt over the fish. Poor the mayo to cover fish only. Do not put too much, just enough to cover fish with a thin layer (you can always add some more latter). Serve like that. After everybody seehow beautiful the salad is mix everything well, let people take the salad them selves. Yum. No matter how often I serve it it is always a big hit.

As far as my mom's beet salad goes, she adds some walnuts, some garlic, I think some mayo, maybe not, can't remember. I hate it. Don't know why.

:)The most simple way to find out if you like beets is to buy a can of sliced beets not the pickled kind chill the can in the fridge and then put them on a salad. I love beets especially on salad. Beets are a good tonic for the blood as well. If you like them in a salad go from there with fresh ones. I don't think they taste earthy at all.

I've been debating trying to add beets into my diet (cooking them fresh, not using the canned variety). What do they taste like? I heard from my boyfriend, they taste sweet. Are they earthy in taste? By this I mean, do they taste like dirt. I've had the canned baby corn, and I hate it because it tastes like dirt to me.

Beets are evil and taste awful and you should never eat them.

They're sweet.

Think deep dark sugar.
Beets pair wonderfully with: orange zest, caramelized shallots, candied walnuts, balsamic reduction, goat cheese.

Enjoy!

DH says yes, they taste like dirt. I love them, they taste like beets to me <shrug>.;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom