"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Head Chef

What do they do with 55 ears of fresh corn on the cob ??

a few weeks ago, i was at the farmers market, picking out some fresh local produce when i saw a few families purchasing huge bags of fresh corn on the cob ( each bag containing about 55 ears).

Many of the families were of some central/ latin american descent . I know corn is a staple in the diet of people from these regions. Im just curious if they would just use it as fresh corn, or would they process it into other forms. It just seemed like a lot of fresh corn at once, and would eventually go bad.

I guess they might also buy it and split it up among a few families, since it is cheaper to buy in bulk than individual or a smaller amount .

larry

Old 11-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
Mr. Greenjeans

They could have been buying for a fleet of corn carts!! MMMmmmMMMMM those corn carts can kill they are so good! Cheese, butter, mayo, spices all on one ear of hot fresh corn. Now I've got to go punch things as I am on a diet and cannot go near the corn cart.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Head Chef

freezing it?

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
Everymom

Using corn husks for tamales too? I think there could be a lot of uses.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Sure would fatten up your chickens, Larry.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Head Chef

I know that there are lots of folks that go to farmer's markets and put up (preserve, freeze, or otherwise store) the produce, I do.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
Master Chef

If it were me, I'd have some blanched and frozen, some with the kernels cut from the cob and iether canned or frozen, make corn pudding from some, use the husks for tamallies, have made my own corn flakes before, corn fritters, cooked and frozen or served fresh, corn on the cob (of course), corn pone, johnny cakes, etc. I'd be able to use 55 ears. And if I got tired of the corn, I could use the kernels for fish chum to draw perch and whitefish to the area where'd I'd be fishing.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Ear corn, if dried down to 12-14% moisture will last for a year or more. Ask any farmer with a corn crib. I used to climb them as a kid.

55 ears of corn, shelled, is just about right for canning a dozen quarts of whole kernel corn, plus using the husks later for tamales.

I doubt they intend to use it to make cornmeal. Masa, which is ground to make Mexican-style cornmeal, is a different variety and not generally grown in the U.S.

They could just be buying a lot simply because they have a large family.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Sure would fatten up your chickens, Larry.
Well, my chickens dont deserve the treat. They have been escaping lately. Who ever said chickens were dumb animals ?? This one , especially, is like the Houdini of chickens. There is nothing like getting a call at 8am from your neighbor ( who you never really talk to) that one of your chickens is running around in their yard. Then comes the embarrassment of trying to catch it as they watch. Just to get a message on your answering machine the next day, that the chicken has returned to their yard. So, no corn for them. Honestly, im thinking about giving up being a vegetarian for one day, just to teach them a lesson. Hmm, chicken with fresh corn Anyone got an recipes for that ??
Old 11-18-2009, 11:45 PM   #10
Master Chef

Mmmm, fresh chicken, I'd for sure give up being vegetarian. After cleaning straight on the grill, yum.

55 ears of corn is not that many if you think. I usually make 12 at once, for the whole family that is when the whole family is at home.

Tags
None