What Do you Do with Excess Carrots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could make carrot jam. It tastes surprisingly good. There are receipes on the internet for it, so just Google.

I first discovered it, when I went to Iran. It is very popular there.

Mel

Addie said:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Okay. PF and you have given me my laugh for the day. Good work. That called for a tear wiping. A real good belly, roaring :ROFLMAO:!

So glad you are laughing Addie. I was laughing with you! :D

You could make carrot jam. It tastes surprisingly good. There are receipes on the internet for it, so just Google.

I first discovered it, when I went to Iran. It is very popular there.

Mel
Blimey I had forgotten that, in the 50s when strawbs were not easy to buy Mum would grow her own and use 25% carrots in her strawb jam to stretch it.

Okay, I'm going to bring up this old thread.

I have 2 pounds of carrots and am looking for ways to use them.

One of my favorite recipes is to mash carrots and potatos together with dill.

I have no potatoes so I'm looking for ways to use these carrots.

Suggestions, Please!

Carrot and raisin salad using a creamy coleslaw dressing.
Honey, lemon and ginger glazed carrots.
Bunny treats...

Sliced/diced carrots freeze well, freeze with diced onions and celery in a ziplock as instant soup mix. Dehydrate and use as chips or in soups and stews.

I toss leftover carrots into the freezer. The freeze well. You can defrost and make glazed carrots, add them to soups and stews, flavor stocks, uses them in mire poix.

I chop them up and freeze them, too. Since it's just me here, I freeze them on a cookie sheet first before I put them in a ziplock, so they don't all stick together, and I can grab however much I need.

Grate some up.

Make a dressing w/ oil, honey, something acidic (champagne vinegar!) and S&P.

Top w/ raisins and toasted almonds.

I was given at least 15 Lbs of fresh carrots yesterday.
Just picked. They are huge. It's been a good crop season around here this year.

So, what to do with them all? Besides a carrot cake. Have to pass on the cream cheese. No offense I just think it's gross.

Thank you

Munky.
Pink's Carrot and Orange soup (Jane Grigson) - You really do need the little cans of frozen concentrated orange juice you used to be able to buy over here but can't now. I think you can get them in the USA. You can serve this hot or cold but I've only ever served it hot with a swirl of cream
Carrot and coriander soup - some recipes want the leaves and others the seeds (Oops, I mean cilantro)
Ottolenghi's Moroccan grated carrot salad
Carrot puree with dukkah (an Egyptian spice mix)
A simple buttery carrot puree as a side dish with roast meat (Can be frozen)
Roasted glazed carrots
Carrottes Vichy
Carrots in curries either as one of many veg or as one of the principle characters.
Peanut butter and grated carrot sandwiches on Granary or seeded bread (Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.)
Carrot halwa - an Indian dessert

I could think of more

Back
Top Bottom