What Do you Do with Excess Carrots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
I was given at least 15 Lbs of fresh carrots yesterday.
Just picked. They are huge. It's been a good crop season around here this year.

So, what to do with them all? Besides a carrot cake. Have to pass on the cream cheese. No offense I just think it's gross.

Thank you

Munky.

You can clean and chop/slice them as you would to cook them for dinner. Then blanch them for about 3 minutes or less (depending on the thickness) until they are tendercrisp. Then immediately plunge them into ice water until cool. Drain them and spread on cookie sheets covered in wax or parchment paper. Freeze for about an hour and put in freezer bags. When you want carrots, just scoop some out and cook till done and hot. You will have carrots that taste like they just came out of the garden all winter! Much better than the frozen that you buy! :)

I have some frozen carrots prepared as Laurie described from our spring garden; my intention is to use them to roast for myself (DH doesn't care for them) or use them in soups, stocks and stews during the winter.

I juice them. I have a glass of carrot juice (usually with a little ginger) a couple of times a week. Juicing is a good option for using up those big honking carrots that are getting kind of woody.

Last edited:
So many things to do:
I make stock with lefover veggies including carrots, I core and stuff them, carrot halwa, carrot tzimmes, carrot bran muffins, kishka, I can go on.....

Cut the carrots into coins and overcook them slightly, Then mash them and use to make a pie following your favorite pumpkin pie recipe. If you have extra mashed carrots freeze them in pie sized containers. Old cookbooks have recipes for this with names like 14 carrot or 24 carrot pie. They are very good and much cheaper than canned pumpkin.

Cut the carrots into coins and overcook them slightly, Then mash them and use to make a pie following your favorite pumpkin pie recipe. If you have extra mashed carrots freeze them in pie sized containers. Old cookbooks have recipes for this with names like 14 carrot or 24 carrot pie. They are very good and much cheaper than canned pumpkin.

I'll have to try that, Aunt Bea! Sounds really good.

Aunt Bea said:

What a fantastic idea. Now why didn't I think of that?...

besides pickling, how about a carrot salad?

there's loads of different variations, but one of my faves was my buddy ozzy's version. shredded carrots, raisins, walnuts or almonds, optional cubed apples or pineapple, s&p, and mayo.

You can clean and chop/slice them as you would to cook them for dinner. Then blanch them for about 3 minutes or less (depending on the thickness) until they are tendercrisp. Then immediately plunge them into ice water until cool. Drain them and spread on cookie sheets covered in wax or parchment paper. Freeze for about an hour and put in freezer bags. When you want carrots, just scoop some out and cook till done and hot. You will have carrots that taste like they just came out of the garden all winter! Much better than the frozen that you buy! :)
Great idea!

buckytom said:

there's loads of different variations, but one of my faves was my buddy ozzy's version. shredded carrots, raisins, walnuts or almonds, optional cubed apples or pineapple, s&p, and mayo.

Oh yeah! I love carrot slaw. Definitely with raisins.

Last edited:
I juice them. I have a glass of carrot juice (usually with a little ginger) a couple of times a week. Juicing is a good option for using up those big honking carrots that are getting kind of woody.
When I had a juicer, we always looked for the big fat carrots. They are sweeter than the smaller ones. Carrot juice is nectar.

Steamed & mashed, & swirled or mixed into mashed potatoes - w/ half-and-half, butter, S&P. Add sautéed onions, or shredded cheese, if desired.

Coleslaw

Potstickers

Egg rolls

Stir frys

Fried rice

Homemade chicken noodle soup

Noodle bowls

Vegetable lasagna

Homemade tomato sauce

Steamed and drizzled w/ ginger/lime butter

Steamed & drizzled w/ Maple syrup, orange juice, & tossed w/ pecans or walnuts

Beouf Bourgignon

Roast chicken (or beef) w/ carrots, onions & potatoes

Potato/carrot/onion pancakes - beaten egg, flour, S&P, fry in oil.

Buffalo chicken wings w/ celery & carrot sticks - served w/ blue cheese dressing

Carrot soufflé - I have a recipe w/ grand Marnier & orange juice

Carrot soup w/ a dollop of sour cream/creme fraiche & fresh dill

Grated into meatballs, meatloaf, turkey burgers

Salad, salad, salad

Carrot raisin salad (already mentioned) also Israeli or Moroccan carrot salad

Pot pies

Last edited:

Tom mate try shredding the carrots and placing in a pyrex bowl then heat some plain oil in a pan and toss in some mustard seeds, when they pop pour over the carrots toss then serve cold with kebabs in a pita.:)

Back
Top Bottom