What do you like with your fries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
these are good too!

Parmesan Fries:

1 1/2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cut into thin strips
1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp veg. oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 450°. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and toss well. Arrange potatoes in a single layer on a cookie/baking sheet. Bake for 35 min or until golden. Around 4 servings.

now those fries I just posted the recipe for would be good with that red pepper dressing/dip. I'll have to find that recipe again.. lol I have it in one of my books. I was looking for it last week, but I can't find it. It sure doesn't help when you have a complete library of cookbooks. I try to use those small "Post it" things and mark the page if there is something I'm going to make, or it's a favorite recipe.

I found that dressing.. here it is:

Roasted Red Pepper Dressing:

7 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained and patted dry
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup plain yogurt
salt and pepper to taste

In a blender or food processor puree the red peppers, cayenne, and vinegar until the mixture is smooth and with the motor running add the oil in a stream. Turn off the motor, scrape down the sides, and blend in the yogurt and salt/pepper to taste.

I like 'em with salt, and once in awhile with vinegar. But one of my favorite memories is of my father and me when I was a little kid, eating hot, freshly fried french fries in Wonder bread-butter-and-french-fry sandwiches at the kitchen table. The bread has to be folded, not cut. Cutting ruins it. He was a master french fry preparer ... he was Welsh, emigrated to the US when he was seven, but before that, a big treat in his village was buying a portion of hot, crispy french fries, wrapped in a cone of newspaper and sprinkled with vinegar.

Cats

Fries with TANGY (vinegar) and spicy (chipolte peppers) BBQ sauce. OR fries in a garlic & cilantro based sauce with sea salt. The fries are not salted. The dipping provides the need flavor.
1.gif

Catseye said:
But one of my favorite memories is of my father and me when I was a little kid, eating hot, freshly fried french fries in Wonder bread-butter-and-french-fry sandwiches at the kitchen table. The bread has to be folded, not cut. Cutting ruins it.

Dang, I forgot an important ingredient in these sandwiches: Honey.

Catseye said:
But one of my favorite memories is of my father and me when I was a little kid, eating hot, freshly fried french fries in Wonder bread-butter-and-french-fry sandwiches at the kitchen table.

those are otherwise known as a chip butty. great apres-drinking food.

buckytom said:
those are otherwise known as a chip butty. great apres-drinking food.

Chip butty? Hmm ... that's cool, but I don't remember ever hearing the term, Bucky. Is it Welsh, or English?

And yes, I imagine chip butties would be excellent hangover food. Nothing like a triple carb load to feed the starving liver, LOL.

Cats

I feel a need to step in and defend poutine.

Poutine is a mix of fries, gravy and cheese curds (not cottage cheese, as reported earlier in this thread). Sometimes one sees it made with grated cheese here in Ontario, but that's not real poutine.

Poutine is delicious, artery-clogging, and a gift from the people of Quebec to their fellow Canadians. In Canada, or in Eastern Canada at least, one can get poutine at most fast food joints.

Mixing fries, gravy and cottage cheese does sound revolting. Although there are variations of poutine (e.g. using chili instead of gravy), I have never heard of replacing the cheese curds with cottage cheese.

I like garlic on my fries. I also use this recipe with my own handcut French fries.

Garlic Fries

12 ounces Ore-Ida frozen Golden Fries or Country Style Fries
1/2 tablespoon butter or canola margarine
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic (CD used garlic press)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley-finely chopped
2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese

Bake fries according to directions on package. Melt butter, olive oil, and garlic in small saucepan on low for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly to mellow garlic a bit. Place hot, crispy fries in medium-size bowl, drizzle with hot butter mixture and add fresh parsley and cheese over the top. Toss to blend. Spoon onto serving plates.

Back
Top Bottom