What does Asparagus taste like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Asparagus soup

Yesterday, I made some asparagus soup in my crockpot from a brand-new recipe. I bought organic asparagus that looked great. However, the asparagus was tasteless. I was so disappointed as I do like the taste of asparagus. I'm puzzled.

:chef: MAX

Our favorite way with asparagus is to roast it with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at about 400 for about 8 to 10 minutes. It tastes great and the whole family loves it. I stay far away from canned asparagus.

I've recently been trying to eat more fruits and veggies, but I'm gettin tried of leafy salads, corn, and spinach. I've always been incredibly picky about veggies. I dont like green beans, peas, watercrests, broccoli, or brussel sprouts among many other things I've tried repeatedly. I havent been able to find a single friend or relative who can explain the taste of asparagus to me. I'd like to try it, but I'm afraid to w/o at least a lil idea of the taste. I know ya gotta take a risk in life, but I hate to cook somethin up and then gag on it and have to throw it out. Is there anybody out there who can give me some idea of what to expect w/ asparagus?

Asparagus is a spring vegetable. It is not sweet like a carrot. It is not strong like brussel sprouts and it is not bitter. It is certainly nothing like canned peas. It is a tender vegetable when cooked.

Buy fresh asparagus. If the tip is droopy it is old. Forget it. When you take it home cut off the bottom. It will be firm and woody and tought. Keep cutting until it is really easy to cut. From thee to the top is the best of the stalk. Do that to every stalk. Rinse well. It grows in a sandy soil.

Simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove the veggies and set aside. Keep the water. Do not eat it yet. Make a roux out of butter and flour. Add the water from the veggie - it will be green - and stir well. You want a thin -ish cream sauce that is not too thick. Add salt and pepper to taste but not too salty. Continue cooking over low flame for a couple of minutes to cook out the flour taste.

When the sauce is ready, cut the asparagus into one inch pieces and add to the sauce, stir gently and cook for a couple of minute to heat the asparagus.

It will seem foreign because you never tasted it before. Please give your mouth a chance to adapt to the new flavor before you throw it out. My children learned to eat Asparagus with the cream sauce. Tjeu still like it today.

Yesterday, I made some asparagus soup in my crockpot from a brand-new recipe. I bought organic asparagus that looked great. However, the asparagus was tasteless. I was so disappointed as I do like the taste of asparagus. I'm puzzled.

:chef: MAX

That is peculiar. Maybe it was too young. It is late in the season for fresh asparagus. Maybe the problem is the growing medium. Maybe it was the last of the crop? Can you ask your county extension office?

how has no one yet mentioned the most interesting thing about asparagus???

that oh-so-special scent that fills the bathroom when you relieve yourself after the meal!

there have actually been a few times when i either didn't realize i ate aspargus, or forgot i did, only to be reminded a few hours later while making a pit stop

Our favorite way with asparagus is to roast it with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at about 400 for about 8 to 10 minutes. It tastes great and the whole family loves it. I stay far away from canned asparagus.

when done, sprinkle with parm. cheese . pop back in over three min. til cheese melts. yummy.

I usually wrap four or five pieces with prosciutto season with olive oil and black pepper. Roast and your done

I LOVE asparagus and the season is just here for local grown. It, to me, is impossible to compare the flavor with anything else, so don't try. I'm told I didn't like it growing up, but rather suspect I never tasted it growing up because it was so expensive. I certainly don't remember eating it. The only vegetables I remember disliking (I wasn't a fussy eater then, and am even less fussy now) were boiled (usually to death), smelly cruciferous veggies: Cabbage, Brocolli, Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, all of which have a similar flavor. I don't think asparagus has a remotely similar flavor. And, yes, the aroma of your urine the next day is also unique to the vegetable!

I love asparagus, but I think it's about the most expensive vegetable on the market most of the year. I suggest buying a bundle and trying it two ways: use the tips for Steak Oscar and put the stems in a food processor for Cream of Asparagus Soup.

Under the "TMI" category, cutting asparagus (harvesting) was my first paying job when I was 12 years old back in the 60s. :)

I had my own asparagus patch for the better part of 25 years. Freshly harvested asparagus have a wonderful flavor; It has a slightly sweet aftertaste with a hint of flower ( roselike?) aroma. These attributes rapidly decline and are pretty much gone within 2 to 3 days after harvest.

Canned asparagus, on the other hand, tends to have a sourish and somewhat metallic taste.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom