What does Asparagus taste like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faire_raven

Assistant Cook
I've recently been trying to eat more fruits and veggies, but I'm gettin tried of leafy salads, corn, and spinach. I've always been incredibly picky about veggies. I dont like green beans, peas, watercrests, broccoli, or brussel sprouts among many other things I've tried repeatedly. I havent been able to find a single friend or relative who can explain the taste of asparagus to me. I'd like to try it, but I'm afraid to w/o at least a lil idea of the taste. I know ya gotta take a risk in life, but I hate to cook somethin up and then gag on it and have to throw it out. Is there anybody out there who can give me some idea of what to expect w/ asparagus?

Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables, but if you hate that many vegetables you probably won't like it. I can't really think of anything that tastes like it. The closest I can think of is artichokes, and it isn't really anything like it. Asparagus has a very distinct flavor, different from anything else. What I would suggest is to buy a can of asparagus and try it. Fresh is, of course, better, but the canned is still good and will give you an idea of what it is like.

:) Barbara

Heh.. sadly I have a can of white asparagus that I bought a while back, but I've been too scared to try it. I guess I'm just going to have to find a sauce or something to dip it in and try it, eh? I like artichokes in recipes, and artichoke dip (if made right) is to die for! So I'll just have to get over my silly fear and try it.

buy fresh asparagus, then marinate it in olive oil, garlic, and balsamic vinegar for about 30 minutes, then season with salt and pepper and grill on medium high for about 4-5 minutes, making sure you rotate the spears so they don't get overly charred. when the balsamic vinegar caramelizes, the sweetness cuts some of the taste that you may not like in asparagus.

i wouldn't bother with the canned asparagus. it's mushy, and has a briney and acrid taste.

Yeah.... canned asparagus is like canned peas..... HORRIBLE!
2.gif
Mushy and just plain bad.

Would someone please tell the English, especially up here in the North, that peas are one of God's gifts, come in a pod, and should be cooked al dente. They are NOT green squidgy items that have the dickens cooked out of them in factory, get plonked in a tin, sit in a supermarket for twelve moths, are extracted from said tin and then heated up, doused in vinegar and smeared on greasy battered fish!

Evil nasty mushy peas!

kyles;
I have even seen them take beautiful, fresh baby peas and cook them to death then put them in a blender! Shame! Let the beatings begin!

That's so evil!!! Baby peas are gorgeous, and you don't have to do anything with them at all. Personally I think picked out of your grandfathers garden, barefoot with your sisters and cousins in the spring sunshine is the best recipe I know!

English Spring Peas are wonderful when cooked right. I like to use them in risottos, and I use them in an open faced ravioli with lobster, as well as a puree for the sauce in some dishes. If cooked right, they retain a beautiful bright green color, and lend a nice texture and flavor to food.

Nothing nicer than a spring vegetable risotto with baby carrots and peas and lovely young leeks, yum! Still have to wait another three weeks for my next farmers market, hopefully they will have some nice fresh vegetables! It's been just potatoes carrots and onions lately, as they only sell what grows locally.

Talking about farmers markets..... is it just ME or do store apples and tomatos just suck!? Tasteless tomatos.... what a waste!!! :? I think canning tomatoes really keeps the flavor.

We were just reading about how tomatoes are sent to the stores green, then they spray them with CO2 gas to quickly turn them red. Nothing beats homegrown tomatoes!!!!!!!

:) Barbara

It's the same here, tomatoes can be horrible. The trick to picking good ones is the smell, if they don't have a grassy, tomatoe-y fragrance, they won't taste. I adore growing my own, but don't have a garden here (you need a glass house to grow tomatoes here) I used to grow a variety called Black Russian, which were a very deep blackish red, they were gorgeous!

:D Don,t start on tomatoes yet hubbie will soon be bringing them in in mass i usualy end up making chutney with them . The trouble in England
you get alot of one item all at once !! :D

Jess can you grow the varieties that don't ripen all at once? I think they're called non-determinate - some varieties are like that. Then you have pickings for weeks on end and not so many at one time.

As far as Asparagas goes I think you either love it or hate it - I've always loved it and Hollandaise sauce is a wonderful addition - steamed lends the most delicate flavor.

Hubby is in charge of tomatoes this year and he is nurturing them well - 9 plants! We should be in tomato heaven by mid July! We love 'em sliced on bacon & tomato sandwiches and in tomato salads and just about any way you can think of - eaten out of hand...we are tomato hogs!

If you grow the plum tomatoes you can just pick, rinse and freeze them in the vaccuume bags and they skin themselves when they are thawed!

Big Yum!!!!!!!!

I think given the English weather, we honestly do have about two weeks of peak summer, there would be no way of preventing a "rush" of ripening tomatoes. I love relish, chutney and home made tomato ketchup. I used to do a lot of bottling and preserving.

My Favorite Asparagus Recipe...

Asparagus w/ Lemon-Butter Sauce

2 lbs. fresh asparagus spears, cooked
or 2 (10 oz.) pkgs. frozen asparagus spears
1/4 c. slivered almonds
1/4 c. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. lemon juice

Cook slivered almonds in 1/4 cup butter until golden brown, stirring constantly (about 5-7 minutes). Remove from heat and add salt and lemon juice. Pour over vegetables. Serves 6.

Back
Top Bottom