What happened to my fresh ginger root?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elitova

Assistant Cook
So, I have never used fresh ginger root before. I bought some 2 days ago, cut it open, and found this:

What on earth is this and what happened? Bug infestation? Just plain rotten? It looked fine from the outside...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome, elitova. Do you have a photo you can post? Kinda hard to figure out if you have a problem without actually seeing it. ;)

Last edited:
https://image.ibb.co/d7MMom/Ginger.jpg
Ginger.jpg

I can't help you with your ginger root issue, but if you are unfamiliar with storing it, I can offer some advice. Peel it, put it in a lidded jar with enough cooking sherry to cover it, then store in the refrigerator. It will keep indefinitely.

Looks rotted. Do the other areas look damage-free? Maybe you can cut out the damaged part. I store my fresh gingerroot whole in the freezer, then grate it as it's needed, skin and all.

I think I'd throw it out, too.

I keep mine in a jar of regular sherry in the fridge. It definitely keeps forever. I use the flavored sherry in marinades and sauces, too.

It's rotting. Chuck it.

Actually, if that's the only spot, you can cut around it, but the rest is browning too.

Ginger is really inexpensive.

Last edited:
I think I'd throw it out, too.

I keep mine in a jar of regular sherry in the fridge. It definitely keeps forever. I use the flavored sherry in marinades and sauces, too.

Id be tempted to keep the rest of the knob if it was unaffected by the rot.

I also keep mine in drinking sherry in the fridge and use the sherry in cooking. But I also always have some in the freezer if I don't what the sherry taste.

I never heard of the sherry storage solution but it's an interesting one. Do you think it's the salt in the cooking sherry or the alcohol that matters more?

Last edited:
I honestly keep mine in the sherry in the fridge for months .... I always examine it though to see if it looks bad before I use it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom