"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #21
Head Chef

Although similar they are different, a turnip is white and the swede is yellow. The swede has a slightly sweeter taste whereas the turnip is more peppery . I actually prefer turnip. I use it a lot for root mash with carrots.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
Senior Cook

What we call turnip in England - pictures here (although it seems that swede has invaded )https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pi...hrome&ie=UTF-8 - is really called French turnip and the swede (rutabaga) is Swedish turnip.

When I lived in Glasgow for a while (my husband was on the Highlands and Islands Flying Ambulance run). I was given a recipe by a local lady for her vegetable soup, I couldn't understand why it wasn't the same colour as hers. It was how I found out that in Scotland rutabaga was called turnip. Confused - I was too

Old 02-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

a swede is a norwegian guy that's better at hocke but not as good at skiing or speed skating.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #24
Wine Guy

Old thread...

A swede (or Swedish turnip) is what people in the British Isles/Australia/NZ call the vegetable we know as rutabaga in the US and Canada. It's a cross between a turnip and a cabbage. The name rutabaga comes from the Swedish word "rotabagge". The photo on the right below is a rutabaga/swede. I must have ate a thousand of these things growing up.

The photo on the left is a turnip. They look somewhat similar, but a rutabaga has more of an orange tint on the outside and tends to be larger.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:36 AM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Old thread...

A swede (or Swedish turnip) is what people in the British Isles/Australia/NZ call the vegetable we know as rutabaga in the US and Canada. It's a cross between a turnip and a cabbage. The name rutabaga comes from the Swedish word "rotabagge". The photo on the right below is a rutabaga/swede. I must have ate a thousand of these things growing up.

The photo on the left is a turnip. They look somewhat similar, but a rutabaga has more of an orange tint on the outside and tends to be larger.

I don't know Steve. My mom didn't look at all like that!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I'm glad you found that out because my family are Swedes and I would sure hate for someone to dice us up!

Barbara
It is only 6:45 in the morning. Too early for belly laughs. I haven't even finished my first cup of coffee.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Some of this thread belongs in "Today's Funny." You all have me laughing very hard. I need time out to catch my breath. A great way to start my day. Thanks to all of you.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Swedes are rutabagas. The other turnips pictured are "summer" crops, rutabagas are fall crops. But the other definition of a Swede is s/one born in Sweden. During WWI in England, rutabagas were planted as cow food. I don't know why rutabagas are called Swedes in Great Britain. I assume it is because rutabaga is very popular in the Scandinavian countries. I love rutabaga. The tops are also very tasty. BTW, the Swedes that come out of my garden don't look anything like the picture--not nearly as purple, more blonde in color.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post

I love to make another Scots standby. Boil some potatoes/swede with about one third ratio pots/swede. When tender, mash with a little cream and lots and lots of butter and ground pepper. Glorious.
Mom would make mashed taters and turnip/rutabagga like that and I loved it. But my hub and dd's are not fans

Tags
None