What is "Swede?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm glad you found that out because my family are Swedes and I would sure hate for someone to dice us up! :ROFLMAO:

:) Barbara

We use lots of 'swede' in our cooking - in soups, stews, casseroles and not least in things like rumbledethumps and bashed neeps and tatties.:mrgreen:

when you mash up a cabbage like item (rutabaga, turnip, whatever) with potatoes you start getting cute sounding dishes. you also get really good eats!

when you mash up a cabbage like item (rutabaga, turnip, whatever) with potatoes you start getting cute sounding dishes. you also get really good eats!
Absolutely, a mixed root veg mash/bake can be a beautiful thing! (Celery root is nice with spuds as well.)

Yep, we get swedes in Australia. The name is interchangeable with turnip. I've only ever been able to eat tiny quantities of it in a vege soup, though it's often included in a Cornish Pastie. It's an acquired taste that I have acquired!

As for the capital S Swedes, I'll have one, thank you. Grey, rather than blonde! :mrgreen:

Here's a thread which has my family recipe for Scotch broth - and a discussion about Swede, turnip, rutabaga!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4621&highlight=scotch+broth+soup

Rumbledethumps is just the Scottish version of the Irish potato and cabbage and onion dish called Colcannon. It is a source of rivalry about which country really 'invented' the dish! My family don't add swede to the dish, but lot of families do....

Bashed neeps and chappit tatties is the side dishes traditionally served with haggis. Nothing very exotic, though... merely mashed swede turnips (neeps) and mashed, creamed potatoes.

I love to make another Scots standby. Boil some potatoes/swede with about one third ratio pots/swede. When tender, mash with a little cream and lots and lots of butter and ground pepper. Glorious.

We also use grated swede in lots of our traditional soups, eg Scottish lentil soup, in order to intensify the sweet flavour of grated carrots.

Last edited:
Scotch Broth

Here you go, Corazon...sounds awfully good!

Scotch Broth
Serve 4

Ingredients:
25g/1oz Pearl Barley
225g/8oz Stewing Beef, fat removed
1.1L/2pts Water
75g/3oz Leeks, sliced
225g/8oz Carrot, diced
225g/8oz Swede, diced
Salt and Pepper
50g/2oz Cabbage, shredded

Instructions

1. Place the barley in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil then drain.

2. Return the barley to the pan together with the diced beef and 1.2L/2pts of water. Bring to the boil, skim the surface, then simmer for 1 hour.

3. Add the leeks, carrot, Swede and plenty of salt and pepper and continue to simmer for a further hour. After this time, add the cabbage and cook for a further 20 minutes. Serve hot.

What? No dried peas? :) I've never had cabbage in Scotch broth, and Scotch broth is traditionally made with mutton or lamb. Still, let's face it, ANY vegetable will add more flavour!

What? No dried peas?
My thoughts too, or a handful of frozen guys thrown in towards the end of the cooking time :)

I also like to go overbaord with the barley...it's such a fantastic grain, and I relish any chance to eat it!

Ishbel said:
What? No dried peas? :) I've never had cabbage in Scotch broth, and Scotch broth is traditionally made with mutton or lamb. Still, let's face it, ANY vegetable will add more flavour!

I don't remember cabbage in there either, I don't like cabbage anyway. I can't remember what kind of dried peas are in there, are they just green peas?

They are just dried green peas - VERY, VERY hard! Have to be soaked overnight before use - but really add a depth of flavour to Scotch Broth!

IC - the Scots use barley A LOT! Re your comments about frozen peas... I'd never use them, it has to be the dried large peas!

Swede = Swede turnip = yellow turnip = rutabaga

While similar to a turnip - a rutabaga has a slightly different taste and is sweeter than a turnip, and takes longer to cook.

Swede = Swede turnip = yellow turnip = rutabaga

While similar to a turnip - a rutabaga has a slightly different taste and is sweeter than a turnip, and takes longer to cook.
THE MAN has spoken! Love how you can always clarify things Michael - thanks! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom