"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
I always feel silly saying the word "rutabaga." :)

Many years ago my Grandma cooked them often; she mashed and ate them with a prodigious amount of hot pepper vinegar sprinkled on. She pronounced them "ROOtabeggers." I thought they smelled just awful cooking and would never try them.
I did notice the odor of them cooking. It was distinct, but not unpleasant to me. Much like cabbage.

I'll have to try the hot pepper vinegar. I have some Trinidad Scorpion Vinegar I'll try on them.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

ROOtabeggers were a staple growing up. Mashed, in soups, baked, you name it, we ate it that way. Of course, these ROOtabeggers were out of grandma's garden in MinneSOOOta and not waxed. I do like them mashed 1/2 and 1/2 with carrots.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
ROOtabeggers were a staple growing up. Mashed, in soups, baked, you name it, we ate it that way. Of course, these ROOtabeggers were out of grandma's garden in MinneSOOOta and not waxed. I do like them mashed 1/2 and 1/2 with carrots.
I'm going to have to try the 50/50 mashed with carrots. That sounds good! I had them 50/50 with potatoes this time and they were delicious!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #44
Head Chef

A staple on our Thanksgiving table,too. they take awhile to cook, so cut them up into small chunks, boil until very tender, (like potatoes) mash with plenty of butter, salt and pepper.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
A staple on our Thanksgiving table,too. they take awhile to cook, so cut them up into small chunks, boil until very tender, (like potatoes) mash with plenty of butter, salt and pepper.
This was my first try at it and I learned an important lesson; don't start boiling the rutabaga with the potatoes. The taters got done to the point of mushiness by the time the rutabaga was done soft enough to mash. I'll half cook the rutabaga by itself next time and THEN add the taters.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #46
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I'll half cook the rutabaga by itself next time and THEN add the taters.
Sorry about that. I should've mentioned it in my post, but yes, potatoes cook faster than rutabagas. Since it's hard to predict cooking times for either, I usually cook them separate and then combine and mash in a single pan.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Boy am I glad I checked in here. Have some rutabagas for tomorrow and I'd have put the taters in with them and with my luck had mush sooooo I'll get the begga's giung first, Thanks
kades
Old 10-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #48
Master Chef

I love rutabagas. To make them easier to peel, I cut them into wdges, then use a good veggie peeler to remove the wax, and a thin bit of skin.
Favorite ways to use them:
1. boiled and mashed with butter and a bit of brown sugar or maple syrup, served up with roasted turkey.
2. Cut into chunks and used in New England Boiled dinner
3. Diced and used with potatoes, onion, garlic, and coarse-grind ground beef to make pastys.
4. diced and added to potato soup with bacon (it really adds to the soup)
5. diced, buttered, S&P, with Corned beef
6. Grated into cole-slaw

Rutabagas have a flavor with components of both cabbage, and turnips, which makes sense as it was the the cross breeding of those two veggies that created this wonderful veggie. I've even been known to eat a chunk while I was cutting up rutabagas for a meal.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I'm going to have to try the 50/50 mashed with carrots. That sounds good! I had them 50/50 with potatoes this time and they were delicious!
I cook them in two pans--the carrots take less time (obviously). And then mash together. You can mash like potatoes, or you can add a little bit of freshly grated nutmeg (I usually add to the carrots when I'm cooking them). Because our Rhutabaga come out of our garden, they aren't as "tough" as the ones you buy that have been treated with wax (probably because they haven't aged and we pull them when we want to eat them--so sometimes we pull them quite young).

My grandmother used to make a salad using them--she'd slice them in julienne strips and added julienne carrot as well. She'd make an oil and vinegar dressing for this--I guess sort of a coleslaw.

Here's a link to a squash-rutabaga recipe that I made once (I didn't use cream). It was good.

Recipe Details

I've been meaning to try this recipe--Rotini with roasted root veggies--haven't gotten around to it yet:

Recipe Details

And, you can always make rutabaga chips:

Recipe Details
Old 10-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Love Rutabaga! It's a must for me in my beef stew. Also like some turnip and sometimes parsnips in stew. DH doesn't care for any of the three, but will eat stew that contains some of one. I also like root veggies ( any of them) roasted with some onion, garlic and olive oil served as a side or pureed and made into soup. Kudos to those who are trying something new!

Tags
recipe

What is your favorite recipe for Rutabagas? I've never eaten a Rutabaga. In all the pot-luck dinners I've been to, I've never seen them offered. I've never seen them on any menu at any restaurant. I picked one, medium sized Rutabaga up and would like to try it. If you have a favorite way to cook Rutabagas, I'd love to see it. 3 stars 1 reviews