"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-30-2011, 03:11 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I did notice the odor of them cooking. It was distinct, but not unpleasant to me. Much like cabbage.

I'll have to try the hot pepper vinegar. I have some Trinidad Scorpion Vinegar I'll try on them.
what in the world made you buy something called trinidad scorpion vinegar? trinnys are insane chili heads. a trinny buddy once challenged me to drink a shot of rum, then eat a traditional spicy chickpea tortilla. i thought my head was going to explode.

waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
what in the world made you buy something called trinidad scorpion vinegar? trinnys are insane chili heads. a trinny buddy once challenged me to drink a shot of rum, then eat a traditional spicy chickpea tortilla. i thought my head was going to explode.
I grew my own Trinidad Scorpions. This is the first year in many that I didn't have a crop of Superhots. A very nice yound lady who lives in Trinidad sent me the seeds to grow them. I still have 5 pounds of them in my freezer. They go a long way and 5 pounds of them will last me for at least another year.

The vinegar is a pint with one scorpion in it. It's been soaking for a year now. the vinegar is a real eye-opener.

I use about 3 drops of it on a garden salad. it turns a salad from boring to very interesting.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

It is good pelled & cut into sticks. Great on a fresh vegetable/relish tray with dip too.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #54
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
It is good pelled & cut into sticks. Great on a fresh vegetable/relish tray with dip too.
+1

I was looking for a post that mentioned eating them raw. My father would pull them from the earth and cut chunks for us there in the field. I have always been hooked on them as a raw vege. Chunks of them in school lunches growing up..... Love them. Now I take them to work as raw chunks for snacks.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceoflife View Post
+1

I was looking for a post that mentioned eating them raw. My father would pull them from the earth and cut chunks for us there in the field. I have always been hooked on them as a raw vege. Chunks of them in school lunches growing up..... Love them. Now I take them to work as raw chunks for snacks.
I like eating them raw too with fresh lemon. On a tray some people will mistake it for jimaca.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #56
Assistant Cook

they are great mashed with potatoes
Old 12-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I like eating them raw too with fresh lemon. On a tray some people will mistake it for jimaca.
I'll have to try this, Simon. Thanks for the suggestion. One of my favorite snacks is Raw Cabbage Heart. I look forward to cutting it up into little bites and eating it salted, every time I have a head of cabbage.

You may have just given me another raw veggie to enjoy!

Tim
Old 12-17-2011, 02:03 AM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I'm with Dawgluver, still is a turkey day staple in my house but, I leave out the sugar.

They have a unique flavor and they are low in calories and carbs.

The worst part is peeling the waxed skin.
Cut off the thick top first. Throw it away. Then cut them in thin slices, then peel with a small paring knife. When you peel them into slices, you will see just below the peel, two rings. The first one is very thin and darker then the next ring. The next ring is lighter. Peel below the second light ring. That is where the bitterness is.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #59
Executive Chef

I don't boil mine. I bring them to a boil then simmer til done. No odor if they are cooked this way. We eat them cubed with salt and pepper, or mashed with salt and pepper with butter. Some people eat the tops (greens) but I've never had them that way. I think my grandmother used to cook the green tops.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

There are two dishes where they are a must. A New England Boiled Dinner, and in a Scotch Beef Stew with Barley. YUM!!!

Tags
recipe

What is your favorite recipe for Rutabagas? I've never eaten a Rutabaga. In all the pot-luck dinners I've been to, I've never seen them offered. I've never seen them on any menu at any restaurant. I picked one, medium sized Rutabaga up and would like to try it. If you have a favorite way to cook Rutabagas, I'd love to see it. 3 stars 1 reviews