What is your favorite recipe for Rutabagas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm bumping this thread (so miss Timothy!) because we have a bumper crop of rutabaga and am looking for more ideas. We plan on pulling them after the first frost (although, they are huge now and I'm tempted to pull one to see if they are woody). These are nothing like the rutabaga one gets at the store--they are quite tender, usually they are. We planted them at the farm this year for the first time. The plants are about 3 ft tall and the "bulbs" are about 5 in across (where they go into the ground). The plants at the DH's garden are 12 in tall and no evidence of a bulb showing. Same seed, planted about the same time. Different soil and moisture conditions.

I'm bumping this thread (so miss Timothy!) because we have a bumper crop of rutabaga and am looking for more ideas. We plan on pulling them after the first frost (although, they are huge now and I'm tempted to pull one to see if they are woody). These are nothing like the rutabaga one gets at the store--they are quite tender, usually they are. We planted them at the farm this year for the first time. The plants are about 3 ft tall and the "bulbs" are about 5 in across (where they go into the ground). The plants at the DH's garden are 12 in tall and no evidence of a bulb showing. Same seed, planted about the same time. Different soil and moisture conditions.

I use them in a New England boiled dinner. It can be with a smoked shoulder or corned beef. They are one of my favorite veggies. I also put them in beef stew. When I add them to the NE dinner, they seem to flavor the liquor and make the rest of the veggies (carrots, potatoes) taste better. Mashed and mixed in with the potato and carrot with butter and S&P, Oh dear, my mouth is watering.

I've bookmarked a recipe for rutabaga chips. I anticipate having a fair number of them, so want some variety...I usually boil and mash with potatoes or carrots as a side, add to soups and stews. And, am wondering if I need to coat them with wax to store or if I can pack them in sawdust like we do with the beets and carrots. Do I need to let them cure in the sun for a day (like we do with potatoes)?

I've bookmarked a recipe for rutabaga chips. I anticipate having a fair number of them, so want some variety...I usually boil and mash with potatoes or carrots as a side, add to soups and stews. And, am wondering if I need to coat them with wax to store or if I can pack them in sawdust like we do with the beets and carrots. Do I need to let them cure in the sun for a day (like we do with potatoes)?

Have you considered looking up the info at an Extension Program on the Net?

They are quite good Raw as in sliced / veggie stix and dip, so I imagine they may work well in a cole slaw.

Once cooked, they mix well with Mashed Potatoes. I like them cubed in soup and stews, While it's not exactly oven weather, I have never tried them chunked or cubed and roasted with a little evoo etc.

Depending how many you are growing, do you think you will have to dip them in parafin wax, like they do at the grocer's to preserve them. I don't count rutabagas as a delicate plant, but they seem to be more perishible.

I'm with Dawgluver, still is a turkey day staple in my house but, I leave out the sugar.

They have a unique flavor and they are low in calories and carbs.

The worst part is peeling the waxed skin.

I found the easiest way to peel them is to cut a flat spot on one side. Then cut into round slices. Or cut in half first on the equator, then slice. Then peel each slice. Works like a charm. I have been doing it this way for more than 40 years. BTW, if you look just below the skin, there is a light yellow layer. Peel below this layer. That layer is bitter. The sweet part is just below that light layer. Same rules apply with a turnip. When you get to be my age, you get to know all the tricks. The next time you try this, let me know how you make out. :chef:

I think there are about 30-40 of them in the row. It was a bit of a surprise that they have fared so well. I should take pics of the ones at the farm and the one's in the DH's garden. The difference is remarkable. I am heading out to the gardens shortly--may have to pull one today to check for woodiness.

Rutabaga is great when added to potato soup. I haven't tried this, but it may be very good as fried chips. Of course it's a traditional ingredient in cornish pasties. I love it mashed with butter, a touch of brown sugar, salt and pepper. It's a great addition when diced, and added to savory bread dressing. Another way I will be trying it, though I haven't tried it yet, is to slice, and cook as I would Harvard Beets. I can see that flavor profile working.

Just some additional ideas for you.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom